Beyond Turkeydome

Several years back I decided to make a standing rib roast for Christmas and it’s sort of tradition(ish) now. I wouldn’t try it for a crowd, but when it’s just a couple of us it’s one of my favorite meals of the year.

3 Likes

I’ve done a stuffed pork loin braised in white wine with apples, that’s a nice alternative too.

2 Likes

I never had ham for Thanksgiving until I moved from the Northeast to the Northwest, and went to a school potluck instead of to a relative’s home. My family’s Jewish, though we never kept strictly Kosher we often had relatives over who did. So Mom & Dad didn’t serve trayf foods at family events.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Set a place for me, I’ll bring blackberry cobbler.

2 Likes

Speaking of which, what’s for afters? Pick up to three.

• Pie (Sweet Potato / Pumpkin)
  • Pie (Other) / Cobbler
  • Cake / Cookies
  • Other (specify)
  • Garment Waist Loosening
  • Food Coma

0 voters

1 Like

All of it, honestly. With age, I’ve gotten better at pacing myself by the time dessert is happening.

Mr. Potroast would vote for “Other: Cheesecake” if he was here. Last year I did a sour cream pumpkin chiffon pie, though the rest of the meal wasn’t traditional at all. I also made chocolate fondue for us to dunk cookies and fruit in. We barely dented that, so I put it in a jar in the fridge. I had the best damn hot chocolate base in the galaxy for almost three months afterwards.

3 Likes

Sure, it looks like I’m eating a whip cream triangle, but underneath that cloud of heaven is pumpkin pie.

My brother always has a pecan pie too, but I’m pretty set in my turkey day ways.

After that? When I was a kid we’d go outside and toss a football, today I just fall asleep on the couch.

4 Likes

I do love me a slice of New York style cheesecake covered with cherries in syrup. That alone is why I’m unable to leave the Bronx. Well, that and the knishes.

5 Likes

I was raised in the South. Cooked outside the bird in a pan, my grandma always called it “dressing” (and hers was delicious!)

8 Likes

I’d say so. I grew up in the Carolinas, and every Thanksgiving we had a pig pickin’ at my great-aunt’s house. Turkey and sliced ham were both on the buffet, but we were all really there for the slow-smoked pulled pork

6 Likes

Another I forgot as part of the meal, because we didn’t always have it, but often did, deviled eggs.

Will there be a poll for the ‘before dinner’ stuff, like, olives, cheese, salamis and crackers, Andies mints, baby carrots and celery and with dips?

4 Likes

Yes! We called it that too, and also cooked it that way. I realise now that I’ve slowly been led to prefer the term stuffing over the years, thanks to Stove Top and the evil forces behind Big Stuffing.

5 Likes

What I miss even more than that is the Italian style, with ricotta. You can barely find ricotta here but maybe I could substitute something else like farmer cheese… :thinking:

4 Likes

Once I discovered ricotta cheesecake I’ve never made it any other way!

4 Likes

+1 on “dressing.” Anyone else come from a family that formed it into (for lack of a better word) pucks and then baked them, so that each serving had the crunchy outside/soft inside thing, or was that just my people?

4 Likes

By request of @JakeGittes, let’s see what appetizers you all have on offer before the real feasting begins. Pick up to three.

• Cheese/Charcuterie Platter
  • Deviled Eggs
  • Olives/Pickles/Pepperoncinis
  • Chips & Dips
  • Soups
  • Drinks/Cocktails
  • Other (specify)

0 voters

2 Likes

Other (specify): Growing up, my family never had a Thanksgiving without celery filled with peanut butter—at the table, as part of dinner.

(Which I realize isn’t an appetizer, but it fits here.)

3 Likes

I voted Other

We always do shrimp with homemade tangy sauce

3 Likes

Deviled eggs are what I grew up with, but these days I’d go for wine and cheese

4 Likes