Board games

How many board game geeks are out here? I’ve found a lot of cross pollination between MiSTies and tabletop gamers out my way, just wondering how many others are out there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I challenge anyone here to Hungry Hungry Hippos. I am the champion!

3 Likes

Many years ago when my sister was packing her home for a move, my job was to keep her son occupied and out of her way. He wanted to play Hungry Hungry Hippos so I was pretty excited to revisit the classic. But when I tried to press the lever he stopped me. He wanted to get all the marbles for himself.

Uh, sure. Well maybe he didn’t want to actually play a game, he just wanted the fun of making some choppy chomps. Fine.

But then when he got all the marbles he proudly exclaimed “I win!” Which he most certainly did not, on account of there being no competition. I told him it was only a Pyrrhic victory, and I’m pretty certain that if he were not four years old at the time that would have cut him deep.

8 Likes

Let the four-year-old Wookiee win.

4 Likes

Suddenly picturing me as a little kid: “Rules? Play Mouse Trap? Nope. Don’t care. I just want to set it up and make it do the thing.”

8 Likes

Did anyone actually play either Mousetrap or Operation the way the instructions said to?

What were those cards in Operation even for?

6 Likes

Board games have been something of an obsession of mine for ages. I spent years working at a local Game Store. And now my library is packed with games piled next to the books. sigh :face_exhaling:

I would say my favorite ones are the thematic, fully-cooperative games where the players need to work together to beat the board. Like “Shadowrun Crossfire” and “Fortune and Glory”.

5 Likes

I’ve got a closet full of board and card games. I was introduced to Let’s Kill by my RA in college whose friends created the game, so that was cool. My family liked playing Pandemic until, well, it happened.

Top shelves (which we play more frequently):

Bottom shelves (lots of childhood games):

5 Likes

Guess Who, huh? Total rip-off game. None of the little people talked.

4 Likes

sceneit

Here’s the thing: do you want to win a game of Scene It ?

Get me on your team, because I have an absolute PASSION for movies. I’ve been an all-time ringer in games of Scene It. Regular edition, Turner Classic Movies edition, James Bond edition, Disney edition, whatever.

I am borderline unstoppable.

8 Likes

Whereas if you want to win a game of Boggle, don’t play against me. No one in my family will play Boggle with me. I love Boggle too. Computer game/app versions just aren’t the same.

3 Likes

Which, in turn, reminds me one of my favorite Beastie Boys lyrics:

I am the King of BOGGLE
There is none HIGHER
I get eleven POINTS
Off the word QUAGMIRE

5 Likes

Also also, I believe you implicitly. I believe you could do some real damage in a game of Boggle, aye!

2 Likes

I just wish I was as good a Scrabble player as my mother. She’s a cutthroat though. She’ll find a way to put a 5-letter word butting up against every letter of your 5-letter word, creating 5 bonus words, and get a triple word score while doing it.

4 Likes

FUNKENSCHLAG!

Okay, in the United States it's called "Power Grid" but that's not nearly as fun to scream.

It’s often suggested as an alternate to Monopoly, because presumably there have not been near as many fatal arguments arising from this one (that could just be raw numbers… but I digress).

Basically you buy power stations, then purchase raw materials to generate power, sell that power to cities, and make money in order to upgrade your stations or buy more, etc.

It gets a bit complicated, but remains fun if you’re into intricate planning. My friend and I played it openly as a way to learn the mechanics. So every time one of us would think of a strategy, we’d speak it out loud. Like “I’m going to load up on this resource because I think it will benefit me in this way…” Then the other would be like “oh, well then I’m going to try…”

And what most impressed me was that each time we thought we’d come upon a clever strategy (akin to getting the orange properties in Monopoly) we’d soon find that there was a rule that leveled that particular tactic. It doesn’t seem like there are any secret tricks; you honestly win by being good at the game.

6 Likes

How about Dungeon?

I had this version years ago. It’s a dungeon crawl & treasure hunt. You play a hero who must go through six levels to kill monsters and get enough treasure to win; you can select from different heroes with strengths & weaknesses.

This more modern edition is what I currently have. It is still a fun game.

5 Likes

Did anyone ever play Scotland Yard? I played that a lot with my family when I was young. I really enjoyed it.

3 Likes

I vaguely remember that, aye!

2 Likes

feedmegame

I have to laugh like hell about there being a children’s game based on a movie where a guy feeds people to a large carnivorous plant.

7 Likes

But is also legally distinct because they don’t want to pay Roger Corman money.

4 Likes