Bookstores

My favorite bookstore is the public library… all the books you want for free!

At my elderly stage of life, I prefer to just go in and pick up what I put on hold rather than browse.

But when I was younger, I did enjoy going through the used bookstores, shelf by shelf. I’d often sell back what I had for credit and then pick up another armful. Those were fun days. And it was great when you found something you’d searched for, for a long time., or you’d just grab something on a lark. I remember this cover caught my eye

And I wound up enjoying it (don’t know how it holds up). This came out in 78, I was reading King, McGammon, Straub, James Herbert around that time period. So yeah, sometime mid to late 70s into the 80s was when I was doing the used bookstore thing.

But I wasn’t a collector, just a reader.

Today it’s different - easier, though not as challenging. I still prefer an actual book, but will read something online (digital), especially now that even the libraries are going that rout, and it’s either do that, or do without.

:books:

I did have a great time a few years back when I discovered Muriel Spark - when I finished reading everything they had at the library, I went and put in an order at Thriftbooks, I think they had some kind of sale, and what a kick when the package arrive full of new-to-me Mureal Spark novels. I think I mentioned it when they arrived (goes look) yup, it was just a quick note.

And I used to work for Walden books, so I had access to plenty. (Edit, had a look, and they are gone - as of July 18, 2011; 12 years ago - bankruptcy)

5 Likes