Buffalo MSTies be safe… 💙

A couple clarifying points – not calling out anyone in particular.

This conversation has been thoughtful and civil. The reason we have a rule against talking politics on these forums is not because we are trying to be unpolitical or neutral (heaven knows I’m not) but because we simply do not have the resources to adequately moderate political discussion on a forum dedicated to a TV show. Of course, as we are all living our lives out in the world, political diversions are bound to occur. When horrors like Buffalo happen, it would be abhorrent to pretend politics and racism are not a factor. Still, we are not really set up to handle those public discussions with the care they deserve.

Also, in past discussions on this point, the majority of the membership here has asked to keep these forums (relatively, within reason) low on politics. You all, of course, are encouraged to continue these discussions in group DMs. I may yet revisit the idea of an opt-in politics category if I think it can self-moderate and not need constant oversight. But for now, this is the situation we’ve got. (On a personal note, as a multi-decade activist and a person with years of experience moderating intensely political communities and discussions, I can tell ya – it’s a whole other level of management.)

Again – I am not calling out anyone in this particular thread. Just giving further context on why the rules are what they are.

Thank you.

8 Likes

It’s never enough at all to JUST be an individual who tries not to be racist. We have to push back everywhere. That’s why I say - if you’re not causing a big ass fight at family gatherings because you called out your racist uncle and won’t back down, then you’re doing this anti-racism stuff wrong. No one can be given a pass on it. Not your mom, not your SELF. White people and non-Black people need to engage because this NEVER should’ve been a fight Black people carried alone. If we aren’t being pointedly anti-racist then we’re enabling it. There’s no middle or neutral ground here. You’re fighting for one side or the other, decide which.

1 Like

@Lesley I will moderate a political opt-in, I’ve moderated 25k member political groups on social media before. Always happy to help, and highly support providing space for these kinds of important conversations. :heart:

3 Likes

Like the HAES org? Is this a fat lib crossover moment? In MY MST3K? :laughing:

4 Likes

They’ve had their share of difficulties, like every other org but yeah. I think the current incarnation really rocks. :+1:

3 Likes

@Lesley If it would help, I would be willing to moderate a political opt-in too. I would certainly support it and participate.

2 Likes

Love you all, but I remain good with the idea of politics on the board happening on a pay-as-you-go basis, as here.

3 Likes

I was thinking more of a catchall political board for instances like this and other things that are meaningful to us MSTies. There’s a lot of heavy stuff out there and it sometimes feels a little insincere here, like I’m pretending the world isn’t basically a dumpster fire in almost every way currently. Yes, I definitely want to be silly and happy, but… My heart is breaking constantly too and I feel a little fake sometimes having fun without acknowledging that there’s so effing much suffering in so many people. Idk, still working through all the feelings.

2 Likes

I would tentatively opt-in to a political board, but I consider you all friends and I would hate for that to change over political arguments.

Most of the people who vetoed the idea originally made their feelings known here:

While I see your point, my feelings are similar to theirs. Politics is everywhere on nearly every other space. It requires a very tight and super-dedicated level of moderation to prevent it from becoming a giant killer space lobster which ultimately invades and sinks the entire board. Not saying it’s impossible. But it would be damn hard to pull off.

[ETA - There’s a locally famous (and famously bad) newspaper which finally shut down its Comments section altogether. Because whichever big conglom took it over was no longer wiling to invest even a token level of time in making it not-a-total-dumpster-fire of trolls each and every day. You can argue that by doing so, they just offloaded the problem onto a lesser space. In fact, their notorious trolls simply migrated to the space of a lesser publication which still maintains that bad interaction is somehow better than no interaction. lol. This world… it is what it is. Sometimes.]

2 Likes

I think it’s worth work though. It’s a privilege to be able to take a break from it. Marginalized folks don’t get that option. Why should I?

1 Like

But I’m also of the mind that bigots shouldn’t ever be given any kind of platform or any joy in life tbh, so imo we can avoid dumpster fires with a heavy ban hammer. :sweat_smile:

So I don’t become part of the problem I’m trying to describe, I will send you a DM. But only with your permission. Thanks.

1 Like

So we just send you a DM and we’re part of the group?

1 Like

On one hand, my entire existence is political so I believe threads like this one are important. On the other, I genuinely do not care what any of you think about student loan forgiveness.

So I could really go either way, hahaha

3 Likes

Anyone is always welcome to send me a DM to talk about anything, I’m an really open person in general, but also because of the pandemic all of my relationships with other human beings are online anyway. I’ll pretty well always welcome just about any kind of communication. I think at any MSTie’s worst they won’t be as bad as some of the various threats and such I’ve gotten from incels and white supremacists. Never ever hesitate to reach out. :heart:

4 Likes

I’m still at the cursing a whole lot in creative ways that should be fun but are not phase. I therefore still have nothing valuable that I am able to contribute at this time.

I’ve checked in with my WNY pals. Everybody’s pretty much where I am.

NY is going to New York this, and tough crap, and the uproar will be deafening, and I’ll see more giant tattered freedom flags flying from pickups, and my misanthropy will peg at 11.

4 Likes

But… what about our recipes for Olive Loaf? :thinking:

1 Like

MOD HAT:

Okay, gang, this thread is veering way off the topic. Let’s get back to how folks can support victims and offers to help that community. As has been stated, this forum is not the place for political discussion. There are endless areas of the internet where you can make your political views heard.

5 Likes

I appreciate everyone being civil and respectful on this thread, I was hesitant to create it at first but I really needed to talk about what happened and wanted to reach out to anyone in this community who was also affected. And I took it as a given that everyone on this particular forum could agree on such basic things as “racism bad” and “murder bad” and that it wouldn’t devolve into any political cannonade. Thank to everyone for upholding my faith in you all. That being said I (and the mods, I’m sure) would prefer to keep this particular thread free of too deep political discussion. I totally agree with @Lesley about why this forum doesn’t have a politics channel right now and if other people want to engage in discussions on a different thread or group, that’s their prerogative within the community rules. But this thread here I would prefer to limit to offering support and love to people in the Buffalo area or anyone anywhere else who was affected by the (multiple) tragic events of last weekend. :blue_heart: Thank you again for the sense of fellowship and solidarity all of you have displayed here.

8 Likes