Captain Kirk went to space today… for real!

William Shatner, along with three other passengers, was launched above the Karmen Line today aboard a Blue Origin New Shepherd rocket, and returned safely to the Earth.

9 Likes

He’s not from outerspace. He’s from Canada. He just vacations in outerspace.

8 Likes

Ain’t gonna lie…as a true blue Trekkie, this made me happy. And Shatner’s words on his return were moving and profound.

4 Likes

Good for him! It really seemed to affect him as well.

4 Likes

Is it sad that i was disappointed not to see him board in his Movie uniform?
He could have at least had a Starfleet Badge?

5 Likes

Things that are funny floating:

Nope. Not funny. Intensely moving.

9 Likes

Imagine hearing the audio on this clip without the video to put it in context.

Did Bill sing Rocketman?

1 Like

Somebody texted in this comment to the radio this morning which have me a laugh on my way to work:

“Everyone should have put on Planet of the Apes masks for when he returned.”

8 Likes

Nice for The Shat, though I thought it was gratuitious that he made one of the crew slowly die from radiation poisoning just so that he could shout “KHAN!”

4 Likes

There you go again, @SandyFrank , getting caught up in the needs of the few.

5 Likes

I wish they’d had the other passengers in red uniforms, because it would have been hilarious, and this is the only time it would have worked.

But I get that it’s best not to tempt fate.

I’m happy Mr. Shatner got up there, it feels right somehow.

8 Likes

There is a meme running around on reddit with a photoshopped crew picture of the other three in red shirts, Shatner in his gold, and the caption “Should we tell them??” If I could find it again, I’d post it here, but I can’t find it again.

4 Likes

I’m glad he enjoyed it, but the Star Trek cast member who really deserves to go to space is Nichelle Nichols. She worked for NASA for decades bringing in women and people of color including Sally Ride.

Unfortunately she has dementia and is under conservatorship, so that will almost definitely not happen.

7 Likes

Is this it?

7 Likes

YES! And then there was a second panel that was a screencap of an episode with Kirk and three red shirts with the caption Should we tell them? Cheers for find it!

Much better than all of the Planet of the Apes memes. LOL!

5 Likes

Shatner was the perfect choice. But it got me to thinking… it’s really too bad Larry Hagman and Bill Daily are no longer with us. That would’ve been interesting, other actors playing astronauts on TV in the '60s. Which lead to this thought: doesn’t have to be the 1960s… and there is this guy who played someone trapped on a satellite once… Joel somebody…

(like Shatner, he was the first)

2 Likes