Completely Random Thoughts ...

“To boldly go” is no more a split infinitive than “the good man” is a split nominative. English is not Latin.

2 Likes

The Guardian says it is a split infinitive, but not a grammatical error.

2 Likes

The contention stands.

2 Likes

In the case of leisurely, it’s both an adjective and an adverb depending on context—I just rarely recall hearing it used as the latter. Boldly, being the adverbial form of the adjective bold, is a different animal.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s definitely true that a bunch of Latin fanatics in the 18th century started pouncing on English for being “wrong” where it disagreed with Latin.

That’s why a preposition is a “bad” thing to end a sentence with.

'scuse me, that’s why a preposition is “bad” thing with which to end a sentence.

They also brought us the universal “he” where English sometimes used “he” and sometimes used “they” for non-determinate gender situations.

4 Likes

As my father used to say, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

3 Likes

6 Likes

SNL has completely ruined Don’t Fear the Reaper for me.

6 Likes

And it ruined being a guy with cowbells for me.

3 Likes

I had this unrealized dream when I lived in Los Angeles to organize a ‘more cowbell’ protest in front of the Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra.

3 Likes

Watch the beginning of the 1990’s miniseries version of “The Stand” — that should fix it for you

3 Likes

I’ve seen it. That is the only part I actually liked admittedly.

There is one part of that miniseries that makes me laugh though. There’s a scene where Trash Can Man blows up a power station in “Indiana”… with snow-capped mountains in the background.

1 Like

I agree. I never really noticed the cowbell as much of a thing in that song before that stupid scene.

I was so excited when I picked up a reissue of Agents Of Fortune cause it has a demo version of the song…without the cowbell.

Similarly, Family Guy ruined Surfin’ Bird for me.

2 Likes

How about a Fresca? Hmmm? Mmmm?

2 Likes

6 Likes

Apparently, this guy has long hair and a beard like Jesus now.

2 Likes

Power strips/towers (often self-styled as “surge” “protectors”) with switches to control each individual receptacle or (group thereof) are really boss, man. Like way out of sight groovy.

Change your life, man, I’m serious!

1 Like

Waste time streaming the entire albums of Richard Cheese for the first time on Qobuz?

bart simpson episode 22 GIF

2 Likes

I don’t know, but for some reason I find myself asking “Wilderness Girls?”

1 Like

Bruce Willis Reaction GIF

1 Like