Computers, Cell Phones, & Other Electronic Gadgets

Newest toy, a marshall DSL40C guitar amp. Bought it used to replace an amp that was stolen last year. Haven’t had the chance to crank it yet. Nothing beats a tube amp on full blast.

4 Likes

I lost my employment so it looks like that Steam Deck is off the menu.
If possible, everyone please send your positive thoughts/energy/whatever in my direction because I sure do need it now

6 Likes

So sorry to hear it. Definitely leave a gripe about it in the gripe thread. You’ll get good thoughts.

3 Likes

@FlyingSquid I don’t like to overdo stuff like that. I got it off my chest one time :hugs:

3 Likes

The solution from Microsoft was to deupdate. It’s a weird problem to solve if your office had 30 computers and they all update at different times before Gates’n’company tell anyone what’s up.

2 Likes

I’ve been using these Lexmark printers since windows XP so I knew it was just a matter of time that I would be forced to upgrade.
It’s done now so I’m probably just going to donate them and sell the unopened ink cartridges on eBay sometime soon.

3 Likes

I used to be on a Motorola cell phone development engineering team. The most successful product I ever worked on was the first RAZR for Verizon, and the story behind that thing… :scream:

3 Likes

Don’t leave us hanging!

1 Like

They almost called it RAZOR. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

It is a long, technical story, but the TL;DR…

The typical cell phone / smart phone development cycle at the time was roughly 52 weeks, something that’s still true today.

The RAZR V3c for Alltel and Verizon (“Gatwick”), was done in just half that time.

3 Likes

Motorola actually had an agreement with Razor USA (manufacturer of Razor Scooters) over the RAZR trademark that eventually led to a lawsuit and the name “MOTORAZR” for later RAZR phones. Lenovo/Motorola Mobility is back to using RAZR, so I’m guessing some part of Motorola eventually either won the lawsuit or reached a new licensing agreement.

2 Likes

Back in the old days when you rented a phone from Ma Bell, we used to have one of these. The rotary dial even lit up!

6 Likes

I wish I had a castle in the sky…

1 Like

I still have my trusty TI-82 graphics calculator. It was a present from my grandparents over 25 years ago and other than a column of dead pixels still works fine.

4 Likes

Cleaning dishes is so swell in my electric dishwasher!

1 Like

Yo!

TI-85 still here in the house!

I believe the TI-81 was what I used in middle school/high school, but the 85 is what I used not too long ago for some calc/EE/numerical analysis/stats stuff, although it was well outdated even by then.

I think it has a vintage vibe.

Then again, I still use two Acer C720s for media playback (ChromeOS replaced, of course!) as well as a Win XP desktop and a Win7 tower for some reason…hey, they still have floppy drives, even though they take up a bit of space.

3 Likes

Still one of the best consoles. So bummed Sega stopped making hardware.

3 Likes

I’ve still got a working Windows XP box behind my drum kit, I use it as a music server. It was once a hot rod electronic ticketing server at some MLB venue, and was bound for a dumpster. I’m not a fan of XP or anything, it just works, and I’ve never bothered to re-OS it. I think I had to replace a battery on the mobo, but that’s all.

2 Likes

Still using my HP-11C from 1986, now only a few years into its 2nd set of batteries.

2 Likes

I still have a couple of working Dells that still have XP os on them and I mainly use them for scanning documents because my older scanners just don’t work well on windows 7 nor 10.
I may have to upgrade my scanners as well someday :frowning:
Just not sure what to go with…

1 Like