Conservation of humor - What incredibly short riffs produced the biggest laughs?

tfs_01

The gang’s growl when Troy’s squinting into the distance, cracks me up every time.

7 Likes

Can’t pin it down to one riff, but many times when an obviously risqué riff is about to go astray, maybe Crow says simply “Mike…!”

Too many to count, and IIRC it’s also in the Joel era abundantly, which is even more funny.

I don’t know the distribution of who censors whom among the triumuirate, but it’s just something I recall fondly, and for its concision and brevity.

It could be wordplay or just an image or an unintentionally intentional play by the original experiment’s “writers” that was intended to get a laugh from the chuckleberries in the original audience.

5 Likes

Servo’s “Sweet Charlotte!” from Laserblast

6 Likes

The Brain That Wouldn’t Die.

“Tag, you’re God.”

2 Likes

Crow’s deadpanned “Whee.” in The Shape of Things to Come.

(The female lead oddly but gently hops off the bottom rung of a ladder to the ground only about 4 inches below.)(On Earth.)

6 Likes

One that i keep coming back to is in Doctor Mordrid, when he insists that Sam gets his Amulet, and its followed up by “Goddammulet”

4 Likes

“Why if this scene wasn’t ending, I’d—”

7 Likes

Any time that the line implies excitement, but the delivery is completely subdued.

6 Likes
8 Likes

I can’t find a good clip but Rocky & Bullwinkle used to do the “The crowd goes wild!” gag, too.

5 Likes

Yes, it’s really a reference to Rocky and Bullwinkle.

5 Likes

My favorite riff lately was Emily’s response to a guy sitting on a toilet during a conversation. “Here I sit, broken-hearted” I hope we were all able to recite the rest of the poem.

3 Likes

In The Final Sacrifice:

Troy [at his father’s grave]: “I miss you, Dad. I want to know what happened to you.”

Mike [as his father]: “I died.”

Mike’s line delivery, with its mixture of confusion and irritation, is perfect.

6 Likes

From one of the new seasons

I want to say one of the Wizards of the Lost Kingdoms films but I’m totally open to being wrong

A character has a moment of comprehension

Crow: oh word?

2 Likes

Word for word, my wedding vows…

4 Likes