Conservation of humor - What incredibly short riffs produced the biggest laughs?

“Lick me!”

The racecar noise one of the bots makes when a bg actor walks quickly through a scene in MST3K: The Movie

“His name is Tributary?”

7 Likes

The one time you hope it’s NOT Frank pushing the button.

4 Likes

Actually in plays they open that way so nothing is obscured by a door. It’s why on Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood the front door opens in reverse. Otherwise we’d have to take his word for it that Mr. McFeely was on the other side of the door and not an incredible simulation.

5 Likes

I’ve told this story a few times. It’s Halloween and we’re about to go into the dollar store. Suddenly I said, “Look out for snakes!” In the store rubber snakes fell on my mum. “I told you to watch out for snakes!”

9 Likes

There’s a traffic safety short (Last Clear Chance, maybe?) that has a sequence where they show how hard it is to see traffic signs and signals when it’s late at night. One shot is of a railroad crossing sign which has “RR” on it.

At that moment, Tom Servo goes “Rrrrrrrrrrrrr!”

It is, quite possibly, the dumbest joke they have ever done. And it makes me laugh every time.

20 Likes

Crow’s delivery of “Urban Cow Boob” in Village of the Giants.

I missed that one on my first watch way back when, but now that I’m well familiar with the source material, it absolutely kills me every time I think of it.

8 Likes

Another RiffTrax one that does it for me. A completely baffled Kevin exclaiming “Which Hole?!

5 Likes

Trace also has a fine sense of BANG! as demonstrated in the Cinematic Titanic riffing. Another CT film, “The Astral Factor” though, has a different gem of his. It’s actually the punchline to a running gag that’s tacked on the end of another joke:

As Captain Wells drives off near the end, Trace is yelling out about being Blackenstein. It’s the “Grrrr!” on the end that gets me.

6 Likes

from Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders: “You’re wellllllcome!”

8 Likes

Crow’s giggle when he sees “Groovy Clothes” from Progress Island USA! :smiley:

5 Likes

Another RT favorite of mine is “Golden Corral’s new slogan”

7 Likes

“Chief?” “MCCLOUD?”

6 Likes

I think it’s that one, too, where the voice-over says something about an island…
Mike: Hawaii?
Trace Crow: No. An iiisssland!

6 Likes

Toward the end of Warrior of the Lost World when all the losers are heading to Sturgis to kill Donald Pleasance and one of the Omega motorcycle cops wipes out so spectacularly that, were this real life, you know he’d end up as little more than a cloud of bone dust and a Smuckers-like smear on the pavement and Joel cries, “Ouch! My finger!”

11 Likes

Atlantic Rim

Red: this thing is all over my ass man, it’s tearing me apart!

Crow: EXCUsE me?

6 Likes

I’ve always loved “ACTING!” from MST3K: The Movie (“This Island Earth”). So good.

10 Likes

There’s a small, subtle moment in Manos: The Hands of Fate that always leaves me laughing fiercely.

The parents are outside looking for Debbie, who disappeared on them. As they look around, you hear an offscreen Debbie say something that’s practically indecipherable about a “big puppy.”

You have to listen for it because it’s very quiet and almost inaudible, but Servo responds with a flat and utterly confused “What?” You get the sense that it wasn’t so much a riff as it was a genuine reaction to a garbled line, but it’s hilarious all the same.

9 Likes

When Thepumaman is playing dead and Vadhino keeps peeking out from the crumbling wall, and Servo goes, “Tee hee.”

Is it against the rules that it’s repeated a couple times, and sometimes he says, “Tee hee, tee hee,” which is four words?

12 Likes

Downloaded and watched “Assignment: Venezuela” and the simple…

:notes:
Meow…
Meow
:notes:

Slayed me.

With that in mind, while not the biggest laugh, I always thought Crows “Kitty’s!” were cute

7 Likes

You look! I’m bitter!

11 Likes