Did you catch the 25 best list on msn?

Was surprised to see this pop up on the msn feed from Yardbarker, “The 25 best episodes of ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’”. 25 best of mst3k

What do you think of this list?

**If this has been posted somewhere else I couldn’t find it, if this has been created by someone in the group I totally missed it!

3 Likes

Much, much too heavy on Sci-Fi era episodes (most of the Sci-Fi episodes they picked wouldn’t be in my top 100), and the seasons 1-7 episodes they chose mostly aren’t the ones I would have picked. To each his own, though - that’s the nature of these lists.

3 Likes

A top 25 with Touch of Satan on it?

WHO HURT YOU, CHRIS MORGAN?

4 Likes

Why do we have to go by what some media guy says? Why can’t we do our own list?

A few years ago (2018 I think?) I did my own poll, which I announced on Twitter, to order episodes for our weekly watch. Our top 25, which had a lot of ties, and some unusual results perhaps, was:

1. THE PUMAMAN
  2. I ACCUSE MY PARENTS
  3. THIS ISLAND EARTH (MST The Movie), SPACE MUTINY
  4. TIME CHASERS, STARCRASH
  5. MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE, MITCHELL, LASERBLAST, OVERDRAWN AT THE MEMORY BANK
  6. SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS, MASTER NINJA I, DANGER!! DEATH RAY, WEREWOLF, THE FINAL SACRIFICE, SOULTAKER, MERLIN’S SHOP OF MYSTICAL WONDERS
  7. GAMERA, POD PEOPLE, ALIEN FROM L.A., ANGEL’S REVENGE, PARTS: THE CLONUS HORROR, HOBGOBLINS, GIRLS TOWN
  8. THE CREEPING TERROR, RED ZONE CUBA, PRINCE OF SPACE, CRY WILDERNESS

I wouldn’t have guessed Angel’s Revenge would rate so high. Also, I neglected to include The Starfighters in my poll, so if it would have placed in the above I wouldn’t know it.

2 Likes

I mean are there bad episodes of MST3k?
I think all of them have funny sections, even if the movies themselves are painful.
It seemed like this list was very 80’s/90’s heavy too (I actually like the old black and white movies).

3 Likes

Not to me, there aren’t. Even the episodes I don’t enjoy as much as others, I still enjoy them.

3 Likes

There are episodes I’m not real fond of and don’t watch very much. Not that they are devoid of laughs, you’ll always find some goodies in there. As for the msn list?

A Touch of Satan is also in my Top 25. It’s got a lot of quality quips in it, so I’m with you there Chris.

On the other hand, Alien From L.A, City Limits, and Batwoman wouldn’t even crack my Top 100.

But this isn’t my list, it’s Chris’s and if that’s what he digs, that’s what makes him happy…

I mean, none of these (media) lists come from the hand of God, cast in stone - this (like Jim Vorel’s at Paste) is simply a reflection of a persons taste - so I look at them in that light (rather than as an authoritative “best of”).

1 Like

I find it interesting to see what experiments blow other people’s hair back. And usually I find that my own favorites compared to someone else’s list don’t align.

That said, I have a lot of affection for a number of titles here and experiments like The Touch of Satan, I Accuse My Parents, and Starcrash are Top 10s for me. I also note that I seem to have more love than yet one more person for Track of the Moon Beast, Laserblast, and The Incredible Melting Man.

1 Like

I’m with you; I love those episodes.

2 Likes

Although I’m admittedly not a big fan of The Touch of Satan, it’s cool to see a few titles here that I wouldn’t have expected to see that far up. Such episodes would include City Limits, Kitten with a Whip, Starcrash, and The Wild Wild World of Batwoman.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy all those episodes, I just wouldn’t have imagined them up quite so high.

I’m not surprised to see Mac and Me up so high. Instant classic, that one.

The one thing that always gets me is the “you may be surprised that Manos is ranked this low” talking point, that a ranking where Manos isn’t in the top five has to be prefaced like that. Again, please don’t me misunderstand me. I think Manos is a very good episode and perhaps the most important episode in MST3K lore, considering. But as jaw-droppingly bad as the movie is and as rip-roaringly funny as the episode is, I’ve always felt that there was a slew of much better episodes.

As always, your mileage may very much vary.

2 Likes