Favorite episode-specific running gags?

Since I mentioned the Chief/ McCloud bit, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that Pod People had a ton of running gags, from Crow’s voice of Trumpy (“You’re my alibi, kid!”) to the HUZZAH guy to a whole bunch of others.

13 Likes

Watermelon Man! (from Danger! Death Ray) …oh, and there are a bunch of riffs on the so-called special effects by Billy.

8 Likes

Isn’t Pod People the one with the “Movie A” and now we’ve moved on to Movie B, etc?

12 Likes

And it eventually progresses to Movie D…

… D for ‘Dumb’.

11 Likes

I’m with you 100% @optiMSTie! I love Crabby the Crab Hat and it makes Wizards my favorite Jonah movie. :crab: :tophat: :heart:

8 Likes

It’s so good.

Wizards I used to be my favorite Jonah episode until Mac and Me came along (which has its fair share of episode-specific running gags, too).

7 Likes

I love the 3M gag in Mitchell when that sort of corporate presentation music plays and Tom starts talking about 3M’s innovation and marketing. Part of what makes it funny is that it points out how out of place that music is.

14 Likes

Mac and Me has some great jokes, it’s a great episode, but overall it’s harder for me to watch due to the higher cringe factor of the original movie. It gets under my skin in a way that Wizards doesn’t. Hard to explain.

6 Likes

“Jim Begg!” in Village of the Giants

6 Likes

I did some video production work for 3M back in the 90’s, and it all tracks well.

9 Likes

In Pumaman, there’s an actor who consistently mispronounces “puma” with a “you” sound, so the peanut gallery corrects him, saying “puma” with an “oo” sound. At the end of the movie, the actor says the word “human” correctly, but the peanut gallery still corrects him out of habit, saying “human” with an “oo” sound.

I have never laughed so hard…

14 Likes

Donald Pleasence, who was also the villain in “Warrior of the Lost World” and best known as Dr. Loomis from five of the first 6 “Halloween” movies.

Might have been a British thing, dunno. The host/cryptkeeper from “Ring of Terror” pronounced it the same way with his pet cat.

7 Likes

That one is definitely in multiple movies, though.

3 Likes

Tom’s “shopkeeper” running gag on the order of terror for “Terror from the Year 5000.”

“Turns out terror is on backorder!”

8 Likes

From Reptilicus, giving an annoyed correction to every single step of the general’s plan. This one’s entirely down to delivery.

6 Likes

In Being From Another Planet (1982), Tom and Crow’s rising terror as the Mummy POV heads to the boiler room. The color turns green and the bots panic. “My throat’s closing Joel. I don’t like it. It’s scary.” “I can’t watch this anymore Joel. I can’t… It’s too terrifying!” Crow tries to leave. So does Tom. Torching 80’s camera tricks? Priceless.

8 Likes

A shorts example: Joel getting on the Bots’ cases over being “too dark” during Here Comes The Circus. It works because of the great payoff: Joel tries to sneak one in himself and gets instantly called on it!

16 Likes

@ArtCrow I treasure that one too. And it seems the Bots go out of their way to trigger him.

5 Likes

From Teenagers from Outer Space:

Grandpa’s drinking as well as his quiet singing of “The New Zoo Review” throughout.

10 Likes

Plus people being trapped in those giant '50s car trunks.

7 Likes