Favorite use of popular music in a media

I really enjoy sound tracks. I believe most of my favorite songs come from movies, tv, and video games. Sometimes the use of the music is just perfect in the circumstance and it really becomes elevated to a point of becoming a favorite song of mine.

There are a lot of film scores produced by the likes of Danny Elfman, John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Alan Silvestri, and others that are brilliant. But I’m thinking of the music from movies by popular artists that become almost synonymous with the movie.

Anyone interested in sharing some of those songs?

Some of my favorites are:

“Maybe” by The Ink Spots at the conclusion of Fallout. The discordance of a lost love song with an apocalyptic wasteland with an underlying eerie quality to old recordings is just too perfect.

In a similar vein, Al Bowlly’s “Midnight, The Stars, and You” is the perfect romantic ballroom dance song to anchor The Shining and Doctor Sleep.

Cyndi Lauper did such a great job with “Goonies R Good Enough”

I am also really a huge Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan, and I would be remit if I left out one of the best from the Secret of the Ooze, Vanilla Ice’s “Ninja Rap”.

3 Likes

Every song in Singin’ in the Rain was either already featured in a previous film or was very similar to a song featured in a previous film.

For example, the song that the movie takes its title from was in movies many times before the 1952 film.

1 Like

The Platters’ My Prayer is used twice in Twin Peaks: The Return, and it’s chilling both times.
Lynch has a history of using music well, of course, like Llorando (Crying) in Mulholland Drive.

2 Likes

The use of Stuck in the Middle With You in Reservoir Dogs is an excellent example of a well-known pop song being used in a surprising and unconventional way, which is one of the reasons I really enjoyed that film and have not enjoyed a Tarantino film as much since.

3 Likes

Not synonymous with the show, but two of my favorite examples are from The X Files:

Petula Clark, Downtown; in ‘Home Again’ 2016 (can’t find a clip from the show)

and especially Cher, The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore; in 'The Post Modern Prometheus, 1997

2 Likes

molly ringwald GIF

1 Like

The first one that comes to mind for me was the movie My Favorite Year. Over the opening credits they played Nat Cole’s version of “Stardust”. I knew of the recording before, but when I saw it in the theater and got to hear Gordon Jenkins gorgeous string arrangement in full theater grade Surround Sound, it literally gave me goosebumps. It definitely set the nostalgic mood for the movie that followed.

I really liked this old forgotten show. It starred WKRP’s Tim Reid and was set in New Orleans. Any excuse to play Louis Armstrong is welcome by me.

There was an episode of The Wonder Years called “Mom Wars”. At the end of it, they played part of Joni Mitchell’s “The Circle Game” and it was absolutely beautiful and meaningful in the context of the story.

1 Like

Here’s an opposite example. Everyone knows the song, almost no one remembers the movie.

2 Likes

In fact, “Make 'Em Laugh” was very similar to Cole Porter’s “Be A Clown”. As in, almost note for note similar. As in, they were lucky they didn’t get their assets sued off for plagiarism.

1 Like

That was the ‘very similar’ one I was thinking of.

The only song in the film that is original (I think) is Moses Supposes.

1 Like

I don’t think they were written for the movie, but “Cruel Summer” and “Your the Best” are hard for me to separate from the Karate Kid. And they fit so well.

2 Likes

As a different phenomenon, the soundtrack from Spawn is pretty much my favorite soundtrack album front to back. But the movie does nothing to help it.

1 Like

This scene right here in The Blues Brothers is pure magic.

5 Likes

From that same era, it never got an official release, but the “soundtrack” to the movie Hackers was far better than it had any right to be.

3 Likes

It’s hard to pick a single song from that movie. It’s such a good musical. But I also really like “She Caught The Katy” and “Everybody Needs Somebody”. Or whatever the non mondegreen names of those songs are.

2 Likes

This one kind of fits because it fit the purpose of the breakup scene in which it was used soooo well, but the song didn’t really become popular until it appeared on the show.

2 Likes

It was one of those things where a ton of people went to the record store the next day looking for the record. That happened a few times in TV history, but probably won’t happen again on the same scale.
I heard this in a bar a couple of weeks ago and was talking with a friend about the way it became popular. The young bartender overheard and was surprised that this sort of thing used to happen.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think the song was in the Top 40 in just a week or two after that episode of Family Ties first aired. The same sort of thing happened when Tiny Tim sang “Tip Toe Through the Tulips” on Laugh-In. It became a radio and record chart hit only after that.

2 Likes

Another example was the song “Let Me Go, Lover”, which was used in a live TV drama in the '50s and the same thing happened.

This scene, which wonderfully incorporates a John Prine song, from My Name Is Earl was one of the most touching moments in the show.

5 Likes