First Movie You Remember Seeing in a Theater (or Drive-In)?

Jaws (1975). I was seven years old, and instead of leaving the scars that you might expect, I loved it, and it remains one of my favorite movies. That may explain a lot, really.

8 Likes

I was the same age and had no interest in seeing it until a commercial aired and my parents declared that I would not be seeing it. I finally caught when it premiered on TV.

No matter how many times Iā€™ve seen it since, it still holds me in suspense even though I could probably recite most of it.

3 Likes

I was 14 when I saw Jaws and my parents werenā€™t sure we should see it (well, let Grandma watch the other (younger) siblings and weā€™ll go) but the other 2 complained about that, so we all went. Funny the baby of the family, my sister had no problems with it, it was the middle kid, my brother, who recently told me, in a joking manner, that he was scarred by it. (but didnā€™t want to admit that he couldnā€™t handle it when lil sis could. lol)

It scared the every luving crap out of me, but I loved it. Itā€™s still one of my all time favorites. It also sparked an interest in sharks, I studied them, read books about them and watched anything sciencey (like Cousteau) on them.

2 Likes

:open_mouth: I had somehow forgotten the existence of Firefox.

3 Likes

I know I saw something earlier but canā€™t remember it. First movie I remember seeing was Return of the Jedi.

1 Like

Underrated imo really enjoy that movie

2 Likes

I also forgot, excellent film. Also saw at the drive in! Nice to see Clint do something different all these years later. Iā€™ve grown to enjoy the slow burn thrillers with Clint, like Eiger Sanction, his output in the seventies and early early eighties are classic.

3 Likes

The Neverending story here. And I cried SO MUCh over the horse death in the swamp, just so it could come back at the end unscated.
Incredible movie, but i was way too young to face the Nothing!

3 Likes

The Oak Drive-In (Royal Oak, MI) was less than a mile from my house. My parents started taking my older brother, sister and I there when I was about 4 years old. I saw rereleases of Snow White and Bambi (back in about 1965 and 1967). We were those kids that went in our PJs so if we fell asleep we could get right in bed when we got home. Lots of visits to the drive-in over the years up until it closed sometime in the late 1970ā€™s or so.

2 Likes

I looked at re-release/release dates for those Disney and Godzilla movies we watched back thenā€¦ and I see Bambi got a re-release in '66, so that joins Batman '66 as my earliest.

1 Like

Iā€™m from the 80s. There was a flash of green from The Black Cauldron that I just know was that movie, but my memory hadnā€™t started continuously yet. Then a flash of Carebears. The first one I knew completely was The Little Mermaid.

I want to believe I internalized strong women and a need to be positive from an early age.

1 Like

Nicodemus! Wow, Iā€™m sorry you lost him to your rat of an ex.

2 Likes

Fritz the Cat at a drive in! Does nobody think of the children? I rented that in college!

1 Like

Earliest thing I clearly recall seeing in the theater was Masters of the Universe. I remember the intense Skeletor stuff at the end, thatā€™s about it; other than the overall effort to go see it. That all sticks with me.

1 Like

Fritz the Cat at a drive-in isnā€™t really the problemā€¦ the problem was that the screen was visible from the road. :smiley:

2 Likes

Itā€™s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is one of those films that I make a point of watching at least once a year. The Great Race (1965) is another.

4 Likes

Pippi Longstocking (1969).

I like to think that my taste in cinema has improved a bit since then.

1 Like

My first theater experience was Ghostbusters 2 at the age of 4 or 5. The image of the Scoleri Brothers bursting onto the screen still gives me chills to this day.

2 Likes

The more time passes, the more I am amazed at how well 2001 holds up. Sure, Pan Am is long-gone, itā€™s taken several decades longer than anticipated for commercial space exploitation exploration to really get going, and weā€™re still looking for even the most microscopic signs of extraterrestrial life ā€” much less Arthur C. Clarkeā€™s ā€œSentinel of Eternityā€ ā€” but Kubrikā€™s strict adherence to physics, the solid production design, and the anticipation that computer displays would only improve with time all made for a classic that would stand up to the passage of time.

4 Likes

One of my all time favorite movies. Iā€™ve seen Mad World too many times to count.

2 Likes