Future Discussions

Made the mistake of reading yet again yesterday about how bad the cost of living has gotten for so many people.

I stand by earlier assertions that for every person like myself who pledged, there was at least one other person who really wanted to but just couldn’t see their way clear. A lot of people said on the pledge page that “Just Helping” was already at the ceiling of what they could afford and I believe them. :hugs:

10 Likes

The increase in cost of living is the ‘right here’ elephant that I have seen precious little mention of in all of the s14 discussions on this site but I see as the main reason for the failure to hit the goal.
Clap Applause GIF
The disappearance of Leslie and Ivan is/was very jarring. An explanation that they were unfortunately going to be leaving would have been appropriate in my estimation. Furthermore, I feel that one or more of our excellent mods should be ensconced as community leader(s) in their stead.

5 Likes

FWIW, I would gladly run a D&D/RPG for any and all cast and crew on Twitch or elsewhere. Especially if they are new to such tings – I find new people come up with the best ideas all the time…

3 Likes

Yep. I pledged the most during the first fundraiser, and it had nothing to do with the quality of what we subsequently got. It had to do with expenses going up and whatever paltry wages I collected not keeping up. Then within days of this fundraiser tanking, we got hit with two giant expenses and I was forced to conclude that the failure was better for me personally, at least. :confused:

2 Likes

Ultimately I believe we were all hoping that the Gizmoplex and Season 13 were going to create a self-sustaining model that would allow MST to escape being beholden to the whims of other systems. It was a bold … even EXTREE bold! … plan. It was stepping into areas that had never been done before and it had a lot of plates to keep spinning.

But bold dreams sometimes run afoul of reality, and the reality is that the Gizmoplex didn’t catch fire the way we all distantly hoped it would. Not ever being finished didn’t help of course, but there were other issues.

I think the success of the previous Crowdfunding efforts gave us all a lot of optimism that it would work again. But doing it with a new Crowdfunding partner worked against it. So did launching it right in the middle of a big strike. And I’m sure it happening during a period of economic inflation was another headwind. And … well … it didn’t make it. And in the interim all the people associated with the project have lives to lead and families to support and they can’t be expected to wait around months (or years?) to get a green light.

Will MST3K come back with another attempt? I honestly have no idea at this point. If I was a guessing man I would put the chances at around 50/50. They wouldn’t have to rebuild everything from scratch … but there’s lots of ground they have lost that would need to be regained.

5 Likes

I jumped on the band wagon early on. I expected more of an effort for it. As the month rolled on and there was relatively little effort put into the events and little information about the actual product (cast for example), I was a bit relieved when it ultimately fell short.

3 Likes

Freedom ain’t free… or some other platitude that’s just as unsatisfying but maybe has less political baggage attached. :beers:

1 Like

Then maybe the next questions we need to ask, as super fans, is-

1 what can we do to show our support and build the community
2 support the production and not let them give up
3 keep the conversations going around a new season

My recommendation is an official mst3k podcast. Matt or a cast member to host. Give updates, talk to fans (read letters) and do an interview every episode with a super fan, cast member or writer. Then use the podcast to prepare people for a new campaign.

And a live tour with Plan 9 feels like a no-brainer. Then market the Gizmoplex and new season during the tour

5 Likes

Oh, and selling merch now! Come on! Such a missed opportunity to bring funds in. From autographs to pieces of the set to shirts to figures. Seriously! Why is that not happening?

For example I need a blu ray of season 13.

6 Likes

Can you imagine if they had merch planned and ready to go before each new episode aired??? Simple things like that could make a difference financially.

5 Likes

It is kind of surprising that Shout! hasn’t put out a S13 box yet (other than Collector’s Edition one for backers). They own the show. Get it all out there.

6 Likes

I like the idea of a podcast, but I think it needs something more compelling in a format than interviewing other cast members. Just because I think they need to bring in a larger audience. And personally I wouldn’t listen to a podcast that was just Matt asking other cast members what it’s like being part of the show.

2 Likes

I think this is a better forum than the MiSTies and More FB page. If you criticise anything on that platform (even suggesting solutions) you are served with heaping helping of backlash, with a side of “you’re not a real fan”… and lima beans! For me, and many others, I just want the show simplified a bit. It doesn’t have to be exactly like the ol’ shows from Comedy Central or the Sci Fi Channel, but there was a simple charm in those show. They are still my favorite epidodes. It just seems like there was more time and care used to put them together. Also, the relationships between the Bot and Joel/Mike were somehow closer and more believable.

6 Likes

Selling off pieces of a virtual set may be hard to manage, but I get what you are saying. Its kind of weird that they aren’t pushing more new merch. This far out from fulfilling the campaign, Season 13 should be available on DVD/Blu-Ray for anyone who wants it. I am sure glad I got mine from the KS, but I would have thought they would have extras made and ready to go for the holiday season.

I think there is demand for a live show as well, and would really love to see one roll through St. Louis again. I am willing to pay to see more MST3K, and am doing what I can by filling the holes in my physical collection with Shout! volumes. Just take my money already, Gizmonic Arts!

4 Likes

I would love these forever!!!:heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

If someone at Alternaversal is reading this, PLEASE!! :grin:

5 Likes

It’s worth noting that it started during the actors’ strike. They couldn’t announce the cast until it was over. (Starting the campaign while the strike was going on was another problem.)

2 Likes

Forget being able to announce the cast, they couldn’t even hire the cast during the strike.

3 Likes

I get it. Early on, I didn’t care. Later on and especially after the end, it bugged me. Especially since, and this is just my opinion about how I felt, the campaign felt passionless. I’ve gotten more exciting updates about a fountain pen Im backing.

4 Likes

The Gizmoplex is still showing the same banner that states you can watch classic episodes without ads until 2023.

It’s now 2024.

It okay for them to generate some revenue in the Gizmoplex. Maybe they can’t find major advertisers to provide ads for the Gizmoplex. I noticed there’s episodes on Peacock too, but not very many. Nothing like the volume of episodes found on the Gizmoplex.

6 Likes

I think Peacock includes SyFy which probably owns distribution rights to Sci-Fi era episodes.