General All-Purpose Good Omens thread

Do you enjoy the book?

Do you enjoy the streaming series?

Here’s your place to talk about both!

Join us won’t you as we discuss all aspects of the of the coming Apocalypse (I’m sure someone around here will be able to find the Antichrist!)

5 Likes

I’ve been told it’s a bit disappointing unfortunately. But then it’s hard to outdo a story with Terry Pratchett’s involvement.

2 Likes

I enjoyed it. I think the initial disappointment was because it ends on a heck of a cliffhanger and we weren’t sure there would be a resolution. Now we know there will be a season 3.

(and there was the usual “woke” whinging drowning out anyone else.)

*stop “helping” discourse. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

That’s good to hear. I’m sure I’ll get to it eventually. I really love the book- there’s a really good radio drama version with Peter Serafinowicz and Mark Heap as Crawley/Crowley and Aziraphale as well, but I didn’t really feel like it was a story that needed to be continued. If they did a good job continuing it, I’m glad.

1 Like

The rumor is season 3 will use the outline and whatever content Neil and Sir Terry came up with years ago for the second book.

2 Likes

Now that this is its own thread, I’m going to bow out before I read any spoilers about season 2.

2 Likes

I read the book because I was on a Gaiman kick and I’ve been meaning to segue to Discworld for a taste. I liked both seasons, but I liked the one book most of all.

As a sidenote, the Sandman series gets more and more painfully depressing the older I get, which is respectable but… oof, I can’t even get through Dolls House.

I think the four horsemen got kinda glossed over in the show for the sake of pacing

1 Like

Fun fact: I was in a friend’s car once and she asked me to pick the music. Looking through her collection of tapes I found one I had made. I got past the weirdness of “hey I wanna listen to me” with “you know I actually haven’t heard this in forever” but when I opened the case it was the Best of Queen. She was like “I don’t even own any Queen.”

This was several years before I read Good Omens so imagine my shock and surprise and relief to discover this was actually a standard phenomenon.

2 Likes

I was introduced to Good Omens in the late 90s by a friend. When we lived together in college, we decorated a loft with quotes from the book. My original paperback still opens to the page with the line “Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.” I took this book with me to the hospital when I was in labor to help me pass the time.

I was satisfied that they did the book justice in the series (so far), but I’ll be watching Season 2 soon.

And I am a very lucky gal, because I have this as well:

3 Likes