General All-Purpose Star Wars Thread

Fair play, though I’ve never seen the BSG reboot. I was a big fan of the original (man, I miss Richard Hatch) and just never cottoned on to the idea of a dark 'n gritty reboot. But I can shout “So say we all!” with the best of them!

4 Likes

Original: Leia Organa

Prequel: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Sequel: Poe Dameron

Appearing in All 3 Sets: C-3PO

2 Likes

It’s a very mixed bag. Some of it is terrific, some of it is just terrible. Including the finale.

Edit: That said, as a Star Trek fan, you might enjoy it because Ronald D. Moore of DS9 fame was behind it.

2 Likes

I don’t know about those specific ones but there was a “get rid of the worst new stuff and fix some still broken things” edit back in the day which I mostly enjoyed at the start but it got worse as time went on. Stuff like changing a droid’s color at the Jawa trading post to correct a continuity error, or fixing the white light saber that remained white in the Special Edition. Cool. In Empire he removed the Luke/Leia kiss because it made him feel icky (fine, whatever, I’m not going to fight over that). But when he got to Jedi he made a bunch more weird choices culminating with “you know what, the music at the end should be what my high school jazz band played when we did a Star Wars show.” It made me think “you’ve become the exact thing you began this project to fight against.”

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any fan restorations of the original trilogy, but the ‘Phantom Edit’ fan edit of The Phantom Menace makes it so much better. It’s still not a great movie, but it borders on being a good movie.

2 Likes

Here’s some more info about the Despecialized and 4K fan restorations. I have seen the Despecialized versions and they’re terrific, but have never known anyone who had the 4K ones.

https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k77/

3 Likes

There’s also “Machete Order” which is: New Hope, Empire, Clones, Sith, Jedi. The idea being that you follow the Luke story, then when you get the “I am your father” reveal you do a flashback to tell Anakin’s story, then come back to finish with Jedi. (Phantom Menace adds nothing of considerable value to this arc and should be treated as a bonus feature if you want a bit more later.)

It’s a pretty great idea, and I do recommend it to anyone who wants to watch those movies for the first time and doesn’t know how to do it. That said, I’ve never seen Revenge of the Sith and have no plans to do so.

3 Likes

Andor is fantastic. Very dark and slow paced, but very good. 9 of 12 epidodes have been dropped, and I’m loving it.

2 Likes

This may seem like a strange take, but for a Disney era Star Wars production, Visions oddly doesn’t have much in the way of merch stuff. Still untouched by the Black Series figure line.

1 Like

That is what I’ve been hearing. Diego Luna as Cassian was my absolute favorite thing about Rogue One, so I am here for this!

3 Likes

Visions seemed ripe for LEGO and Action Figures, but so far nothing.

Even the hive of scum and villainy that is the knock-off LEGO mini-figure market hasn’t touched Visions as far as I’ve seen and that outright shocks me with the number of unofficial properties those companies produce.

1 Like

This is the order I normally do them in (with TPM included before AotC) when I’m doing an actual binge.

1 Like

I’m an original trilogy gal I fully admit, and I don’t have access to any of the new series, but when I was packing up to move to Wisconsin, I was going through some old books in the back corner of my closet and look what I found!

This isn’t all of them because I remembered some that I had bought and then didn’t enjoy so I donated those, but these are the ones I wanted to keep and reread. …and I just noticed that I put one of Kevin J. Anderson’s trilogy in the wrong spot. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Burn the heretic!

2 Likes

In the original: Luke (Yes, I’m predictable.)
In the prequels: Obi-wan
I didn’t watch all of the Disney trilogy, but I’d choose: Finn (I really thought his character was by far the most interesting.)

2 Likes

I fixed it! I promise!

1 Like

Can you also fix your copy of Courtship Of Princess Leia so it is right side up and facing the correct way?

2 Likes

Done! :smiley:

1 Like

The long national nightmare is over.

2 Likes

All three of them. I remember after originally seeing the first one me and my friends trying to draw ships and characters and getting everything completely wrong because none of the toys had come out yet. I was in north Texas for Empire and I think it was a four screen theater all showing it staggered every 30 minutes or so and there was a line a few blocks long to get in. No one spoiled the big spoiler that day!

I was in DC when the first prequel came out and a bunch of us went to the Uptown Theater (RIP) and we all agreed that was the last one we’d ever pay to see!

2 Likes