Good cops

Plan 9 from Outer Space. Rifftraxed but not MSTied, unfortunately.

1 Like

8 Likes

Considering the Enforcers are pretty much the Southern Sun’s Masters-at-Arms (Military Police for us landlubbers), I’d like to put them in as the most corrupt cops in the entire series.

1 Like

McCloud!

2 Likes

Has anyone mentioned Xanthar and Denise from Laserblast yet? They deserved that dressing down from the space chief. Uh, not the Space Chief, but their chief who’s in space… because they’re aliens…

4 Likes

I think we have all overlooked the almost Sherlock Holmes level of observation employed by the officer who stopped the (did they have a last name?) family in their car at the beginning of Manos. Without so much as even speaking with any one of them, this keen-eyed officer has already determined that they are “Running late. First vacation. Kid getting tired”. Three for three!

The original script went on to include, “Go bowling on Wednesdays. Recently enrolled in Book-of-the-Month Club. Fans of Frankie Laine.”, but the short scenes made necessary by the camera they used caused those lines to be cut.*

*citation needed

4 Likes

Marshal Rose Wood is one of the few I can think of who I actually liked. For sheer entertainment value though, good or bad, it’s hard to top Mitchell.

1 Like

The entire police force from Horror of Party Beach were pretty terrible. Refugees from a hot dog eating contest monsters kill dozens of people and the police remained baffled, not even patrolling the areas the monsters kept attacking. Then when the scientist guy figures out after lots of screaming at the screen and a helpful stereotype maid that sodium is the monster’s weakness the cops start grabbing it with their bare hands and somehow not catching on fire.

And I won’t even mention Adam West from Zombie Nightmare. Though I guess I just did.

4 Likes

My favorites are the sleeping policeman in The Indestructible Man.

And of course, “Kline!”

2 Likes

I think the subtext here is that women are a dime a dozen so who cares how many get et ? :confused: But once the male drunks went down, oh dear now something must be done. I bet one or both of them were members of some cop’s family.

(Just kidding. Sort of. Naturally most of these movies hate women, but few of them were made by guys with enough insight to organize their hate to that degree.)

2 Likes

Clu Gulager sighted!

I represent the sheriff of San Mateo County on these premises, right? Now if Jim Conrad here or you or anyone else breaks the law of that county or this State I move. Otherwise Jim runs the airport and I run the security division. And as far as I’m concerned it’s gonna stay that way.

3 Likes

You’re probably right, but it highlights just how embedded the “women aren’t really people” idea was at the time (and, sadly, still is in a significant part of the population). There’s a big difference between using the “women are more vulnerable” trope to build tension and gleefully slaughtering them. As I get older I’m having a harder time with indescriminate killing/destruction in fiction; it makes me wonder about the mental state of the person making it (casts an eye at the DC movies).

But anyway, the cops in Party Beach are particularly useless.

4 Likes

99% chance they’re just hacks.

1%…:eyes:

3 Likes

Related:

Do you think that the butt-faced sheriff and his bush-baby deputy in that turkey thought they were good cops? :thinking:

2 Likes

Of course! They’re Butt-Faced Sheriff and Bush-Baby. They fight crime! If it doesn’t require any work or isn’t too dangerous.

2 Likes

Did we mention Alan Hale yet? I feel we must have.

3 Likes

Little buddy!

2 Likes

And if they’re not too damn high.

2 Likes

Hasn’t that man been through enough?

2 Likes

[gets whiny in a specifically William Sylvester-esque style]

2 Likes