Guilty Pleasure or Bubblegum movies for unplugging…

A lot of people seem to hate this movie, but I don’t care.

2 Likes

I watched that a little while ago. Not remotely good as a movie, but fun to watch.

1 Like

peter pan hook GIF

Michael J Fox GIF by Filmin

1 Like

I have no guilty pleasures because I don’t believe in the concept of guilty pleasures. I totally believe in loving what you love and championing that jazz.

That being said, bubblegum movies? Probably You’ve Got Mail. I’m generally not a fan of rom coms, but that stuff is CHOICE.

5 Likes

I finally got around to Sleepless in Seattle on Showtime a year ago and it’s a great, solid script from Nora Ephron. In any other movie these days, the Bill Pullman role would be turned into a douche in the 3rd act.

Speaking of Hanks, Larry Crowne got a lot of bad reviews back then but I loved it. Liked seeing him get back to his 80s comedy roots.

3 Likes

I STILL need to see that. Something of a cinematic blindspot of mine.

I am happy to report that Joe Versus the Volcano is still amazing, though.

5 Likes

I took a screenwriting class where we analyzed that film. It’s written and directed by John Patrick Shanley, who also wrote Moonstruck and is a good playwright. I don’t remember a huge amount about the class, but I do remember talking about how Meg Ryan’s characters were a metaphor for the three ages of man from the Greek myth of the riddle of the sphinx.

3 Likes

See? Tom Hanks comedies have LAYERS, man.

4 Likes

Honestly, it’s a really deep movie despite seeming like a silly romantic comedy. You can find long analyses of the film if you search. Shanley really is a great writer.

3 Likes

It’s the same thing in You’ve Got Mail. Meg Ryan’s boyfriend isn’t a bad person. They just grew apart and probably would have without Tom Hanks being there.

3 Likes