HELP US HELP YOU, A POLL: Problems with audio volume levels in episode 1301! Please respond 🙏

I watched via Roku live on Friday night (which is HDMI connected to my Onkyo receiver) and both by a Firefox browser and by Roku during a gradual replay over the weekend. I watched via headphones almost exclusively for both viewings.

After having it pointed out by people on this forum, I agree that the riff volume level was a little higher than that for the film. However, I perceived the differences as not a big deal. Both the film and riffers were clearly audible to me and the volume difference was not distressing.

I am wondering if the audio issues could be due to how certain people’s equipment was handling a 5.1 mix (if there was one for the stream). If the film audio was mostly being pushed the the surround speakers, some TVs or stereo systems may have suppressed the volume for those channels a bit.

I did notice a moderate lip sync delay when watching via Firefox, but the Roku audio sync seemed better and not distracting.

3 Likes

Just to add more data

I was doing (another) rewatch via the app on iPhone. Watching the offline version of the premiere (very cool that it can be downloaded in app) and during the theme song and opening host introduction the audio came and went. As if someone was turning the audio dial (dated) up and down as Kinga and Pearl were speaking. I got into the movie the film was whisper quiet again while Jonah and Bots were normal

2 Likes

I watched the event live through the Android app (installed directly on my cable box), and did not have any audio issues.

1 Like

I watched it way early Saturday morning on Roku while the rest of the house was sleeping. So I couldn’t crank the volume. But at a normal volume level for riffs, I could barely make out the movie dialogue. So lots of riffs that played off the dialogue seemed like a non sequitur.

2 Likes

So what is regular sequitur?

(Sorry couldn’t resist :stuck_out_tongue:)

2 Likes

It’s what I was going for :wink:

1 Like

Watched live on a Roku sound bar and had no audio issues. It does have a leveling feature for the audio, and speech clarity is set to high, so it may have fixed any issues.

2 Likes

The bots were about the right level, though sometimes a bit too low but Jonah was real loud.

2 Likes

I watched live on an Amazon Fire TV, and the volume of the movie was significantly lower than the riffs and the host segments. However, I could only watch approximately the first half of the live stream and finished the second half a couple of days later (also on an Amazon Fire TV), and the volume levels were closer to what I consider normal for MST3K.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into this! I originally tried to watch the recording on Saturday night (3/5) via the Roku app and using a soundbar for the audio. The movie volume was too low to hear at my usual setting, and the riffs were a bit too loud. Turning up the volume to hear the movie made the riffs so loud that unfortunately we couldn’t make it through the episode.

This afternoon (Monday, 3/7) I tried listening to the beginning of the episode from the MST3K app on an Android phone and using headphones for the audio. The result was much better – maybe a touch too low on the movie volume still but very reasonable to hear everything without it being uncomfortable.

1 Like

My experience seems to mirror the majority here - movie was definitely on the quiet side, riffs were louder, host segments were overall louder than the in-theater segments. But within the riffs & segments the levels on each specific source/performer/etc seemed to drift around. Jonah was mostly consistent and loud enough (maybe a touch too loud compared to the others). Crow, Tom, the Mads were a bit all over the place… often right up there with Jonah but other times notably lower. It was rarely to the degree that the family & I missed lines (maybe once or twice for film lines, but really hard to isolate the baseline bad audio so often present in these movies from any MST3k specific ones) but it was absolutely present enough to get multiple comments during the screening and be a bit distracting.

Setup: Hisense H9G TV running the GoogleTV platform played through the new Gizmoplex/MST3k app. Running the audio via TOSlink optical out to a 1996 era Sony 5.1 receiver and played in 5.1 theater mode.

3 Likes

I listened to the episode with headphones and aside from Joel’s introduction where the sound was too low until somebody turned it up near the end, the levels didn’t seem very problematic. There were a couple of times I couldn’t hear a riff over the swelling soundtrack, which seems to be the opposite of what most people are complaining about (movie too soft, riffs too loud).

2 Likes

We had problems connecting to the stream, so in the end we had to watch on my phone using the link in the email. We clicked the link and the phone opened a window from the email that showed the stream (no other method was working) and we cast that to the TV.

Then about 20 minutes in things seemed to get sorted out better and we dropped the stream from my Outlook email and were able to use the Gizmoplex on a Roku.

1 Like

Laptop hdmi to receiver to home theater system and projector.

Once I turned the volume high enough to hear the movie dialogue then the riffers were way too loud when they shout riffs.

This is not the case when I watch the Netflix series episodes. but I usually watch those through my ps4. I’m gonna watch a Netflix episode through the gizmoplex and see if it has a similar issue and will get back to you.

I heard some folks here had success with changing some settings on their receiver and will play with that as soon as I can too. Probably won’t happen till the weekend though.

Appreciate all your hard work.

edit: Watching the replay with headphones and it’s still an issue but is MUCH better. Which is interesting. I don’t know enough about audio to see why it would matter… is the livestream mixed for just stereo (2 speakers) and then my home theater system makes it sound bad by trying to transfer it to the 3 speaker setup I have (center channel and two main speakers on the side). I could easily see that being the case and if there is a fix I can do on my end it would be great to get that info out there for others having the same issue as me.

but still on the headphones it seems like it could be mixed a lot better than it is.

1 Like

I watched it live on a Firestick and the movie was noticeably quieter than the riffs and host segments. I watched again on Saturday and it was the same. I don’t have this issue when watching the classics on Gizmoplex or other apps on the same device. I checked my other Firestick just now, and it was the same.

3 Likes

I had no connectivity issues or any issues with the sync, and I was watching on a laptop via Firefox.

If the riffs were louder than the movie, I have to honestly say that I didn’t notice until it was pointed out, but then again, the sound on my computer shouldn’t really be the standard by which any audio volume issues should be gauged.

1 Like

I had no audio or syncing issues. I was watching through the MST3K Android app on a Sony smart TV.

1 Like

For me the riffs were ear-bleedingly loud compared to the movie. I had to turn the volume down because people were sleeping in the next room and the riffs were so intense, but in doing so the movie dialog was so faint I missed quite a bit of it. Borderline unwatchable I’m sorry to say. Tried watching the replay the next day and it was the same.

5 Likes

We watched via Google TV using the chromecast with Google TV dongle.

The volume of the movie was much lower than the riffs until after the first sketch segment. Then the volume seemed much closer and I was able to turn it down to a reasonable level and still hear the movie. Prior to that I was having to set the movie to a just-audible level and deal with the loud riffing.

EDIT: As an aside, we haven’t watched the VOD, but we have watched two of the vault picks (Outlaw of Gor and Teenagers from Outer Space), and the volume levels on the vault picks were just fine.

2 Likes

I watched live on my Roku hooked up to my home theater (7.1 system) and could hear the riffs and movie just fine. Host segments were a bit louder with a wider soundscape (movie seemed to be all center channel), also during the host segments there was what I assume is the mechanical noise of the SOL coming out of the side speakers and that got a bit distracting at times.

1 Like