How do I access Gizmoplex on my TI-92?

Ok, found a poor quality AI generated subtitle file loaded it up and regenerated the video at a higher resolution so YouTube’s compression algorithm doesn’t turn it into grey mush. Also switched to the old DOS system font, which is closer to what the VT100 used than what xterm uses by default.

8 Likes

Well done!

4 Likes

This rules. You’ve won. Congratulations!

Arguably easier, too, than trying to do a recreation along the lines of towel.blinkenlights.nl.

3 Likes

Heh, I haven’t tried doing this over telnet or ssh yet, just locally on the system console and in a couple of terminal emulators on my X-Windows desktop. It SHOULD work as long as the connecting terminal supports the proper protocols, though. I might try ssh’ing in from my wife’s Windows desktop and see what happens when I get home.

3 Likes

If you stand 30 feet away, it’s like being there.

6 Likes

As someone who owned a Virtual Boy I can’t let this slander pass.

That thing was bad for your eyes for any period of time.

These were actually designed by Mark Cerny, now known for designing Sony’s hardware.

6 Likes

As a current owner of TWO of them, I concur

(Idk how I wound up in possession of a second one, I only ever remember having one… maybe they multiply…)

3 Likes

Will it work on my Sinclair ZX81? I’ve got the 16K memory upgrade!

(the cable out the front is for a home build keyboard I made for it)

What about an Atari 400?

Darn, the label fell off my 300 baud C64 modem, will that work?
modem

Wait, it has to work on this, it says “for entertainment use!”:

Hmm, that seems to be your computer, but I bought it, who’s computer is it?

8 Likes

Your.

5 Likes

I’ve got to know more about your computer. Does it have your processor and your ram in it, or is it someone elses?

5 Likes

Can confirm this stupid setup WILL stream a text-mode video over SSH. Don’t have access to a machine I’m willing to open telnet up to to the wide world, so you’ll have to just take my word for it for now(that and I don’t exactly have the rights to stream it anyway, even with 1970s level streaming tech)

4 Likes

I think that as @Coglestop has ably demonstrated, if a VT100 text terminal can stream it, just about anything with a CRT or later can be used to watch the Gizmoplex.

Now, who has a 110 baud teletype to experiment with? A line printer would offer a better frame rate, but you’d have to buffer a bit before you started watching.

5 Likes

My TI-92 is still waiting, Cogsie. :pleading_face:

6 Likes

Aright, look, I’m just down the street from Tektronix. Everybody who’s in, jump in your black jammies and let’s stop puffin and struttin. You want to show what you’ve got? Let’s go dumpster diving.

3 Likes

Just did some searching and there were modems and RS232 modules made for the ZX81, and there were also modems made for the Atari 400 and 800 computers. I didn’t think those could be used as terminals but turns out they could.

If you want to know more about my Your Computer search for Lambda 8300.

4 Likes

If it’s got a keyboard and some kind of input output data whatsit ports, and they call it a computer, chances are.

3 Likes

Didn’t they do that Pump Up the Jam song?

5 Likes

The ZX81 had no digital data ports, it didn’t even have a video chip, it used the processor to build the video frames. It would normally have a blank screen while it ran your program and then show the results. For games people found a way to alternate between drawing the frame on the CRT and a blank frame where it would run code. It had the absolute bare minimum components to run a program and display. The port on the back was for memory expansion, I guess people figured out a way to build a box that would use that and create a serial link, it must have been quite painful to use even as a dumb terminal.

6 Likes

Goofing off takes a lot of work that people are more willing to put in than the work they get paid to do.

6 Likes

That sounds even MORE painful than the way the Atari 2600 handled drawing the screen.

4 Likes