Least plausible protagonist?

One exception is Lynn-Holly Johnson (AKA the Bond Girl no one wants to admit was a Bond Girl) in The Watcher in the Woods. While she was about 22 at the time, thanks to her waifish build (on account of her being a former figure skater), she’s reasonably convincing as a teenager.

4 Likes

I never saw For Your Eyes Only. Was she that bad in it?

3 Likes

It’s not so much that she’s bad, it’s just that a teenager trying to make moves on Roger Moore’s Bond is kind of icky.

4 Likes

Are you saying that booze isn’t a likable character?

7 Likes

Booze takes a dull party and makes it better!

5 Likes

I loved Booze so much, but it didn’t love me back! :cry:

5 Likes

Booze is a fickle mistress.

4 Likes

[studies chain of medical bills stretching clear to next Summer]

Yeah you got that right.

4 Likes

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.

6 Likes

Wait. I always thought he was referring to the pantsless real estate gal here. Y’know, the one who fixed up the attic. (And in a cut scene, flies off the handle and strands Paul at the party because he won’t return her sexual advances. Yeah thanks, Movie you [bleeeeeep] !!)

4 Likes

B-Double O-Z-E Boooooooze!

*hic

5 Likes

Michael Anthony Hall and Molly Ringwald were both about 16 in Sixteen Candles. Hall of course grew up to be the kind of bully (at least physiologically) he was portrayed as being tormented by in his early films.

4 Likes

“Well, that’s Tinseltown for you.” --Joel Robinson

3 Likes

I always thought the grounds-keeper was referring to himself with the “pretty face” remark in Werewolf… must be what I was bringing to the table, 'cuz it’s the kind of lame, self-deprecating joke I would say. Whoa, MST just got deep…

3 Likes

The “protagonist” in Hobgoblins. Yuck. Oh, yuck. Just thinking about it makes me shudder. Yuck.

Bad everything in that movie.

10 Likes

equally, it is kinda hard to see the amazing changing hairdo {ACH} actually getting through grad school. With his propensity to beat up , sexually harass or drug coworkers, you have to imagine that every time he left the lab to go to bathroom his laptop would inexplicably find itself on the floor smashed. Equally likely whenever he brought in leftovers for lunch they would invariably find themselves spiked with intestinal parasites or strong laxatives. I do not see ACH actually getting thru the defense of his thesis without major sabotage of his power point presentations, and his coffee having sub lethal quantities of qualudes in it.

4 Likes

If we’re talking about Yuri, and not “hero” Paul: the former gave off a super-convincing vibe of low-level Euro wiseguy. None at all of scientist or even P.R. man. (Despite the dialogue.) I was somewhat surprised to read that the actor for real had a different nationality and a career having nothing to do with protection rackets or strip clubs.

2 Likes

Oh, thankyou for pointing this out. I can no longer sit thru Manos because the first 10 minutes are the traumatized wife pointing out that they need to get away, or that she feels impending doom, or that she feels they need to rethink their plan. You count them on right hand, then have to move to left hand, when you run out there and have to move to your feet, you realize “oh this will not end well for her”, that is the point for me i hit the off switch. Equally the scene where wife comes down in the morning and charming hubby stands there and dryly berates and patronizes the mother of his children, you start rooting for the zombie to rip him limb from limb.

6 Likes

Lee Van Cleef lived with Heart Disease. By The Master, his condition had deteriorated and his condition is evident onscreen.

3 Likes

Sigh - I really hate even mentioning the movie but the so-called “protagonist” husband in The Bubble. And the reason he is the least plausible is because he was written to be such a thick-headed, oblivious load that he defies all possible human explanation.

2 Likes