Let's discuss "Santo in The Treasure of Dracula"

Thank you, @CLANG_Potroast, for putting first things first. :clinking_glasses:

3 Likes

Last weekend, I saw a kid, probably 10-12, wearing an El Santo t-shirt. I was amazed and impressed.

5 Likes

Cool.

I’m sure Santo still has his own little cult following even long after his death, not just for all the movies he made, but also for his stellar wrestling career.

4 Likes

And presumably performing three miracles. He is recognized by the Catholic church, right?

3 Likes

Ironically, despite being El Santo, he has only been beatified.

1 Like

It does drive me crazy when the WWE calls Rey Mysterio “the greatest luchador of all time”, because I keep thinking “I’m sorry, how many movies did he make?” (Not that Rey isn’t ONE of the greatest; I’d easily put him in the top 5, though my knowledge of lucha libre is somewhat limited.)

El Santo was so popular that when his son, El Hijo Del Santo, turned rudo (or heel, to use English terminology; basically, a bad guy in simplest terms), an actual riot started in the audience.

5 Likes

Found myself trying to watch this for free on PlutoTV (I say ‘tried’ because for some reason halfway through the app on my PS4 just stops playing the Season 13 films and goes to the previous channel I was on!), and realized that much like his foray with the Vampire Women, Santo has to be the smartest person in the room.

I kept thinking this because it seems no one seems Count Alucard is suspect, given the girl in the family gets weaker shortly after he visits…let alone the Van Helsing character just calmly takes his mirror-shattering with an aire of: “well…
That was strange.”

4 Likes

In this movie, Santo was the smartest person in a room full of scientists who all sneered, scoffed and laughed at his theory of time travel.

4 Likes

Santo was the Vin Diesel of his day.

4 Likes

I tend to watch certain episodes on repeat, and after a few watches of this, I have to wonder if the writer of this and the Aztec Mummy series joined forces on the side.

Consider these similar elements:

• overly-pompous know-it-all has something that is tested out on a woman

• woman regresses to a past life where that figure is killed

• a secret treasure must be found

• the treasure has extra items that must be used to find it

• a masked figure seems intent on getting the treasure for himself, and utilizes a ridiculous scheme to do so.

• woman is hypnotized to go to secret creatures lair

• anti-climactic ending with the big baddie getting taken down

• both have a dorky guy assisting the lead.

4 Likes

Seeing as how both were written by Alfredo Salazar, I would say yes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Apologies if it’s been mentioned but Aldo Monti is a great Dracula

4 Likes

This just made me think of the scene where he just CLOBBERS the old man with his cane, and now I’m laughing inappropriately.

2 Likes

I’m still convinced that’s Judd Hirsch.

2 Likes

I love describing the plot of this movie to people who are unfamiliar with MST3K and/or Mexican wrestling movies. “El Santo, the Mexican wrestler, plays himself, again, a professional wrestler who has built a time machine. His girlfriend (?) volunteers to try it out and winds up being psychically transported into a past life incarnation, who, as it so happens to be, is about to become a victim of Dracula…”

12 Likes

And that’s Act I.

12 Likes

I think that she’s supposed to be his now-grown goddaughter or something. Santo being a role model would never have a live-in, uh… supermodel, unless they were married.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s the ticket. Goddaughter.

John Cusack Reaction GIF

She’s his friend but she’s not his type.

Santo and Bill Dudley both subscribe to American Musclewoman.

And don’t even think about getting all judgy. :warning:

1 Like

I think we all know it would be Masked American Musclewoman.

2 Likes