Local Horror Hosts

If you go up to about post #68 in this thread, you’ll see a YouTube video of a B-Movie trivia challenge at the Science Museum of Virginia with four Virginia horror hosts (including Bowman Body and Dr. Madblood) as contestants. You’ll also see that Dr. Gruesome has excellent knowledge of Gamera.

5 Likes

Which is weird, because Dr. Gruesome didn’t have any of the Gamera movies on the Movie Morgue, as I recall.

Though the Movie Morgue was where I saw Psycho and Captain Koronos Vampire Hunter for the first time.

2 Likes

Oh sweet - I’ll check that out.

1 Like

@SandyFrank I just searched for Horror because of our recent conversation. I’ll have to scroll this thread later after I finish studying. Thank you for sharing!

3 Likes

Just saw where Elvira has released a memoir. It sounds like she’s had a pretty fascinating life so far, and one loaded with celebrity encounters.

4 Likes

I did a drawing of my favorite horror host…

the legendary Bill Cardille. He had a small role in the 1968 NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

11 Likes

Nice illustrating skills, I like!

2 Likes

Oh man, watching Count Gore on Creature Feature every Saturday night was a veritable ritual for young-me. Genuinely shaped me into the well-adjusted horror geek I’ve been ever since. (Also the first place I ever saw the video for “Fish Heads” by Barnes & Barnes.)

7 Likes

Kids these days don’t know the “quirks” of over-the-air UHF TV.

6 Likes

By quirks could I substitute delights? :smiley:

4 Likes

Certainly. My heart weeps to know we’re going on our second generation that won’t get the meaning of the title of Weird Al’s movie classic.

6 Likes

The original image in that post is gone unfortunately. Apparently the site here lost a bunch of images in threads. I thought I’d throw them back up.

6 Likes

In New Orleans we had the amazing Morgus the Magnificent, aka Dr. Momus Alexander Morgus. Morgus featured a full cast of characters such as his assistant Chopsley, a failed subject of Dr. Morgus’ experimental face transplant surgery, and Eric the Skull. He often had local celebrities as guests, who tended to end up as subjects of his experiments. Morgus had even had a movie and at one point did the weather on a local TV station.

7 Likes

On the other hand, anyone today can run their own ersatz UHF station thanks to the miracles of cheap digital video cameras, ubiquitous Internet access, and YouTube. Would that when we were growing up we had it so, so, so — what’s the word I’m looking for? — weird.

4 Likes

Loved Morgus!!! Still have my video recording of his show from back in the 80’s.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, the one in Reno. I think all his shows are on DVD.

2 Likes
1 Like

Me too. The greatest pizza of my youth. It’s sad they’re gone.

1 Like

I don’t have a local Horror Host but I watch Svengoolie every Saturday on METV

6 Likes

Noble Romans is still around, but it’s a faint shadow of what it was at its height in the 2000s. According to Wikipedia, there was a very messy, very large set of lawsuits with most of the franchisees in which the end result was just about every franchised location closed if it hadn’t already. There are now only about twelve locations nationwide, all located in Indiana.

2 Likes