Looks like the new app has launched and Spoilers reveal of the first episode of season 13

1. There will be a Fire TV app. I know because that’s how I plan to watch on my actual TV.

2. The apps and the Gizmoplex are separate entities serving up the same meal. The apps are an easy means of accessing your episode library and events using a phone or a Roku, etc. The Gizmoplex is the web-based “location” that wraps around your episodes to make it more of an experience.

Everything will make more sense as we go along. Y’all know it’s the MST3K way to let some of the seams show as stuff gets built. :blush:

25 Likes

The Gizmoplex: A Hug For Your Episodes™

16 Likes

That was my first pick as well to watch! Loved seeing it on my big screen for the first time in glorious 1990s VHS quality! :smiley:

2 Likes

I logged in easily enough and, my library already has my Season 12 episodes under the “Purchased” tab.

Strangely, my Season 11 episodes from the first Kickstarter aren’t there yet.

My best guess is that I had to change my Kickstarter email address between seasons 11 and 12. This was because the older domain was shut down, so I can no longer receive emails at that address. Hopefully there is a way to attach those episodes to my account as well…

2 Likes

Yay, there’s the option to turn off “autoplay next” in the Roku app. Was going to ask for that, but it’s already ready already!

2 Likes

As of now, it looks very unlikely, because Sony’s team is INCREDIBLY difficult about approving applications for the Playstation store – and as a result, very few developers even make them.

However, we’re doing some testing, and our understanding is that the full virtual theater Gizmoplex website might work in the Playstation web browser, which would mean you could still access it on your television. We’ll keep everyone posted.

12 Likes

Got it. I set up my Roku app and account (and at https://mst3k.vhx.tv/) using the same e-mail as for my kickstarter backing where I’d pledged to get my Gizmoplex Pass: 12 Months.

I’m assuming closer to the date when the app updates I’ll have my access to the pass (new episodes) so don’t need to do anything now but wait until that magic march day? :slight_smile:

Thanks all for your hard wondrous work on this!

4 Likes

You assume right! You’ll get a new reward code in the next few weeks that you’ll use to add your Gizmoplex member pass to your account, and then you’ll be all set. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Working on windows 10 using BlueStacks.

5 Likes

Champion! Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Ivan, can you please speak to why the app is just labelled “Mystery Science Theater 3000”? What happened to the “Gizmoplex” branding?

Also, I can’t seem to make “resume” options appear in the Roku app, is that functionality planned for the future of that app?

2 Likes

Based on Lesley’s post, the MST3K app is essentially the front end of the CMS which handles the Gizmoplex’s video content.

4 Likes

Just surprised to see the app live with no announcement and the name “Mystery Science Theater” instead of anything labeling it as The Gizmoplex. I also figured (likely incorrectly) that the app would still be in beta with the apps unlisted.

2 Likes

@Ansible The post from @Lesley does explain the reasoning for the current app name. In addition, for now, the OTT apps require you to use your VHX name and password to log in, whereas the Gizmoplex will have its own separate login, because (for those who care), VHX doesn’t support SSO yet, so we couldn’t make the accounts share login credentials seamlessly. The biggest reason for not naming the app “GIZMOPLEX” is that if we did, people would try to use their Gizmoplex name and password, and might not be able to login, so we’re attempting to minimize confusion.

As for the Roku resume issue: if you email that question to me at ivan@mst3k.com, I’ll pass it to the app developers and ask if it’s something that’s possible, or if there’s a reason it isn’t supported.

9 Likes

If anyone’s surprised by any shortfalls in any Roku feature, you can console yourself in knowing that the Roku back-end environment is horrendous.

5 Likes
  • The reasoning for the name of the app being MST3K instead of Gizmoplex is in my previous post in this thread.

• The app is live now because the platforms don’t individually give us the option to toggle it on and off. We were advised that the safest way to make sure it was available in time for March 4th, and didn’t get held up in last-minute approval reviews, was to launch it as soon as each platform would approve it, and not promote it until we were ready for people to use it, and to answer questions.

• This is why we didn’t announce it yet – so I wouldn’t end up spending the week before we head back to set answering questions for the app that we still need time to write KnowledgeBase articles for. And yet, here we are. :wink:

22 Likes

Still unable to get past the login screen. This is basically the VHX site, yes? I don’t need to create another account? I just keep getting the "Trouble connecting Please try again” and can’t get anywhere

3 Likes

I’m loving the app so far. Streaming on my phone is on par with all my other streaming apps, and it’s great to easily pull up the episodes awarded via the campaigns.

3 Likes

Yes, you’re right about VHX. I logged in with my VHX credentials. You might try uninstalling the app and reinstalling. Then try logging in again.

1 Like

Yep, tried that too. No joy.

4 Likes