Movies that Need to be Riffed by the MST3K Gang

Don’t forget Ray Milland’s swan song: The Sea Serpent (1984). Dubbed Italian schlock with Timothy Bottoms in designer woolens and an adorable perm, a confused society babe who he has to rescue from an asylum, and a lighthouse keeper with multiple personalities. Oh, and of course a big cheap looking toothy puppet.

2 Likes

What about the Masters of the Universe movie? One of Cannon Films’ shining examples of their output.

5 Likes

Definitely riff worthy for sure.

1 Like

Budget might make it tough to acquire, but how about the Sean Connery/Wesley Snipes movie Rising Sun?

2 Likes

Lol funny thing is I ran across them a few days ago and they did not disappoint.

2 Likes

I know you and I are on the same page with The Christmas Martian! I LONG for them to tackle this in a Christmas episode and with a holiday themed short to round out the run time.

Unfortunately, I’m not holding my breath because of the company that owns the rights, but that would be a slam dunk to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any of the Herbie movies have potential.

4 Likes

Especially the DTV one with Bruce Campbell.

1 Like

Krull is a family favorite for me, one of my younger sisters is named after the Princess. Rifftrax did a Live show with Krull. I think it is available in the ‘Just the Jokes’ section.

4 Likes

Incredible, I just got the Bluray and watched it last night. I have seen pan and scan VHS dubs of it in the past, but in it’s original form… It’s amazing. It’s inexplicable. It was filmed in 2.35:1 and NOTHING happens on screen. No plot. The COUCH SCENE will turn you off sex for life. It’s horrid.

My parents actually went to see this damnation in our local theatre when it was first released and for YEARS my Mom talked about “that movie” where she and my Dad had a giggle fit at the horrendousness of it. They walked out, probably after that COUCH SCENE. They never had another child after that, that’s how toxic Moment By Moment is.

3 Likes

I’ve purchased 156 Rifftrax movies and “Oblivion” is the only one where I wanted my money back.

Rule #1 of Riff Club is:

“Never riff a movie that’s trying to be funny.”

2 Likes

There’s humor in it, sure, but I don’t think it’s exactly a comedy.

2 Likes

Like Hobgoblins, it is entirely convinced it is funny on its own merits, and that’s the same sort of unearned confidence as Y.K. Kim believing he had created an Oscar-winner in my book.

I mean … someone genuinely believed those Star Trek “jokes” would work. That must be riffed.

3 Likes

How about at least one martial arts film? Like “Yes, Madam” for instance.

6 Likes

Cynthia Rothrock, bless her. I just watched Rifftrax’s Honor & Glory again last night. The world needs more Cynthia Rothrocks.

5 Likes

SenatorSugar … yet another user name I wish I had picked.

3 Likes

Al Adamson’s “Dracula vs. Frankenstein”

4 Likes

Frogs and Without Warning are two personal favorites - if they were to riff them it would make me love 'em even more.

4 Likes

I wonder if anyone’s ever written a treatise about how old goats got serious movies every ten minutes about happily shacking up with women young enough to be their granddaughters. But women supposedly past their prime… got this. (Oh and Harold & Maude but that wasn’t exactly meant to be a serious movie.)

1 Like

I watched this once, and I wish I couldn’t remember any of it. Star Kid (1998) feels more like an 80s movie. A 12 year old dweeb goes to where a meteor crashed and finds a robotic suit. (This has to upset Tom and Crow already.) He puts it on and enjoys being a jerk to the people who picked on him. To keep it fun for, somebody, it has the kid trying and failing to do normal things in a robot suit. He even does a pee pee dance. The special effects are only special to their mom. It’s available on Amazon to rent or buy. However just watching the trailer is torture.giphy

2 Likes