Movies that Need to be Riffed by the MST3K Gang

Another great choice, and what a pedigree! Created by bad science veterans Curt Siodmak, Ivan Tors, and Herbert L. Strock, and starring “Hollywood Actor” Richard Carlson! That would be an awesome addition to the lineup as well.

I recently ordered a copy of Gog from Kino Lorber. It’s directed by Herbert L. Strock and based on a story by Ivan Tors. I have high hopes for it.

7 Likes

You won’t be disappointed. The robots in “gog” are right up our alley for cheese factor. Happy watching!

7 Likes

Night of the Ghouls

This is the third of a series of movies which also include Plan 9 from Outer Space and Bride of the Monster

9 Likes

Another 1950’s classic I’d like to see riffed is Tobor the Great (1954). It features a robot (the titular “Tobor,” one of the more visually impressive robot costumes of the day, IMHO), stereotypical cold war spies, an endangered child, archival space launch footage, and the robot even winds up in space at the end. What more could you want to torment the inhabitants of the SOL with?

8 Likes

I saw this movie get riffed at San Francisco Sketchfest in January last year. Frank, Trace, Kevin, Bill, Mary Jo and Jonah did it under the ‘Riffapalooza’ name.

6 Likes

Spring Fever - I saw this in the theater and hated it until some kids a few rows down started making fun of it. I thought that it was awesome when they were riffing away. Now this was in 1982. So about a decade later, my brother showed me MST3K. Alas, no Spring Fever (the movie). Please destroy this movie. Spring Fever Spring Fever (1982 film) - Google Search
Thank you in advance.

6 Likes

And there’s already a show tie-in. Several times, when Tom Servo started breaking down, he would say, “something. Is wrong. On. Saturn 3.”

7 Likes

I mentioned this movie in another thread, but the 1970s sequel/remake of The Blob called Beware! The Blob! is perfect MST3K fodder. I’ve never seen a movie more clearly made while under the influence of copious amounts of drugs. Not even Zardoz and John Boorman was so blitzed out of his mind that he says he doesn’t remember directing it.

8 Likes

Too much nudity. I can’t believe anyone else has seen it. I will never look at Sean Connery the same.

6 Likes

Having already riffed At the Earth’s Core (1976), how could they not riff this (questionably) more modern take on the concept? In its defense, it stars Aaron Eckhart and Hillary Swank, and has an excellent score by Christopher Young!

7 Likes

If I remember correctly, Mary Jo Pehl talked about that movie being up for consideration for Season 7 in The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide.

Given how absolutely on fire Season 7 was (only six episodes, but all A-grade episodes, each and every one of them), I’m sure they could have turned that into a winning episode!

8 Likes

Oh… my word :joy:

4 Likes

If you guys can get the rights to Hawkeye (1988) starring George Chung and Chuck Jeffreys. That would be a dream come true. Cause that movie isn’t available anywhere

5 Likes

I see your Oh! Heavenly Dog and raise you with Quigley. Gary Busey, at his Gary Busey-est, is a very bad man, resurrected as a dog to do good deeds and gain a place in heaven. His guardian angel and guide is played by Oz (son of Anthony) Perkins.

7 Likes

I have a feeling that this one hasn’t been an experiment yet (but please forgive me if I’m wrong), but Have Rocket, Will Travel from 1959… starring the Three Stooges. It’s not my favorite trio of Stooges, but I love it because it’s so cheesy and just the perfect hokey sci-fi film for the Mads to choose. Whether or not it’s bad is up to you, but it’s definitely cheesy. Perfect for our trio of Stooges to be subjected to!

7 Likes

We riffed The Wraith for the Cinema Terrible event I co-host with another librarian. What made it doubly fun was that we were streaming it from Tubi, so we had commercial interruptions at random. One of which came after one of the fiery crashes and launched right into a “Do you need car insurance?” advert. Biggest laugh of the night. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I know Joel kinda put the kibosh on this, but I really do wish that MST3K would riff some of the awful, awful animated ‘movies’ or specials that abound. Food Fight!, anything by Dingo Pictures, the animated Titanic films, The Christmas Tree, Rap Sittie Kids- I Believe in Santa, etc.

5 Likes

i remember that movie , good choice

4 Likes

this 1991 gem deserves a good riffing

3 Likes

Has anyone pitched a Corey (either one) movie yet? If not, I’d like to add this one to the conversation.

51T7IBok9YL.AC

5 Likes