Music Lovers: favorite unique albums you love

forgot this one.

If you haven’t encountered the “word jazz” of Ken Nordine before, I can recommend it. Colors is a good album to start with.

5 Likes

anything by this guy. he made a lot of records for kids in which he used his home-built synthesizers and which tackle such topics as entropy.

another fun one

Not a lot of people know about the WEIRD left turns The Beach Boys took in the 1970s. They always had an odd sense of humor, (“I’m Bugged At My Old Man”) but when their leader, Brian Wilson, absented himself from the group - you started getting album tracks like:

Smiley Smile:

The Beach Boys Love You:

Holland

2 Likes

YES! I found these on YouTube. Both of these albums were road jams when a few of my friends got together.

1 Like

Before going home for Christmas break in 1986, a buddy who was a DJ at the campus radio station gave me a cassette and said to check it out. It was a collaboration between the Cocteau Twins and Harold Budd.

At the time, the Cocteau Twins were available only as imports and, though I might have read the name prior, I wasn’t familiar with their music. Late one cold, snowy night over that break, I took out the cassette, popped it into my stereo, put on my headphones and “Sea Swallow Me” began to play.

I’d really heard nothing like it. It was so otherworldly and dreamy. I was immediately a fan.

3 Likes

I got into Ken Nordine kind of sideways because he did an album with Jerry Garcia (Devout Catalyst), and little did I know he guested on one of the Grateful Dead’s spaces!

2 Likes

Groovy! I didn’t know about that collaboration, thanks!

The Frogs - My Daughter the Broad is a real weird one that I love. (trigger warning for pretty much everything, they try to offend)

@FreemanLowell
:facepunch::beers:
it was the mid 90s before I found this, but havent listened to it in ages. I do listen to Harold Budd almost daily.

2 Likes

Anyone mention The Aquabats yet?

Ice Cream Confidence GIF by The Aquabats!

5 Likes

In my college days, my friends were enamoured of Moxie Fruvous and the Arrogant Worms. Every once in a while I come across Garfunkel & Oates, and they’ve got some good stuff.

But the last few years I’ve gotten pretty much all my music from Twitch. Talented indie singer/songwriters who regularly live stream concerts, taking requests from chat. I’ve watched literally hundreds of them, and there are some pretty amazing people doing really cool things, no matter what genre you like. Meriamber does geek comedy. FantasticPlastics have more of a Devo vibe. JonathanOng will learn any song on the spot and turn it into a layered masterpiece. Elvie is charming, and silly, and open about her mental health issues, and she writes heartfelt songs about her struggles but also beautiful ones about life lessons she’s taken from learning to garden but also love songs and breakup songs and more. EmmaMcGann does more electric guitar than acoustic, but it’s usually on the chill side. EtcKid will take half a dozen synth sounds from chat requests and improvise a jam out of them and you never know where it’ll go. Andvari are a family band with amazing harmonies. SceneOfAction is more about pulse-pounding action and fancy camera work. WaxWaneMusic is more soulful in how he rocks out. EchoLocations is more hippie acid rock. KristiKates deliberately makes her channel into a restful escape from the troubles of the world, and she puts a ton of work into the look and feel of the place. ClairePics has a beautiful voice, but she also frequently includes her latest batch of foster kittens.

I could go on and on. There are drummers and harpists and DJs and flutists and… Always more to discover.

I’ve brought them up in other threads (like the Halloween music thread) but not this one. They’re great fun!

The Aquabats - Powdered Milk Man

I think I recognise a couple of the old films used in this video. I believe at least one of those films has been on MST3K.

2 Likes

Psychic TV- Towards Thee Infinite Beat.
I used to own this album but lost it somewhere during a cross-country move. The music itself is experimental early 90’s electronic, but the most unique thing about it is that the CD came with a silicone lip around the edges that was designed to make CD players repeatedly skip during the last several seconds of the final track, literally creating an infinite beat. Probably because of this gimmick (and the obscurity of the band), the CD is long out of print and not available to stream from any of the usual places, unfortunately.

3 Likes

Money for E is where it’s at.

Bellybutton by Jellyfish is one of my all time faves.

1 Like

I love Alan Parsons Project. I haven’t heard a single album I haven’t enjoyed. I might throw Pyramid out there as a bit more off the wall.

This takes me back to middle school/high school. My brothers and I used to listen to this all the time.

Powdered Milk Man is one of my favorites by the Aquabats. So much of their stuff is good though.

A couple of my favorites:

My dad had this album growing up. It used to scare the crap out of me when I was younger, but I still enjoy it to this day. I recently found a copy on vinyl and have been listening to it again. My favorite songs are Forever Autumn and Thunder Child.

Found this one in Cactus Records, a local music shop. Absolutely fantastic. Nimoy can actually sing. Shatner…cannot.

This one is just great. Give it a listen if you have time.

2 Likes

I have the Bob and Doug McKenzie on vinyl, and yes, you need to put it on with headphones for the ‘dopplar effect’ :laughing:

1 Like