Mystery Science Pathfinder 3000 - A Play by Post RPG Campaign

Ambling up to the bar, Coleman gives the best smile his charisma score will get him, attempting to look friendly. Coleman casually sizes up the room for threats and looks for a quiet corner table with access to a quick exit.

“I’ll take a mug of your favorite ale, and buy a mug for that bard, too…what’s his name?”

1 Like

Bonnie orders a cup of the dwarven stout. She won’t speak Dwarven to Branim unless a good opportunity presents itself, because she doesn’t want to seem patronizing.

(I assume Branim is not being unfriendly towards Bonnie, just more friendly to Mart.)

She settles in with her drink to listen to the music.

2 Likes

Mart finishes his song, then downs the rest of his mug of ale. He thanks Coleman for the refill, and begins another song. Perform [string] result 13. Maybe he downed that mug too fast.

2 Likes

“I don’t recall his name, he’s just in off the road today, like ye’self.” Branim replies to Coleman. “Perhaps he will introduce himself between songs. I brew the stout here myself,” Branim sits a large mug of pitch black Dwarven stout in front of Coleman. The mug is easily twice as large as any other in the establishment. “First drink is on the house, cousin, but that will be 5 copper for the minstrel’s drink.”

As Bonnie watches Branim interact with the locals, as well as the newcomers to the Inn, she deduces (Sense Motive 15) that he is showing preference to the Bard likely to keep him entertaining the patrons of his establishment as long as possible. While Branim is quite friendly to everyone, he is a doting more on the Dwarf at the bar, but is also more friendly to Bonnie than the locals.

As Branim sits a fresh cup in front of Mart he says, “This is from the Dwarf at the bar.” He nods toward Coleman, “Some have been asking your name, if you’d like to introduce yourself.”

As Coleman finishes his second song, the crowd seems to be just as enthusiastic at his performance as they were at the first, and seemed to take no notice of the flaws. It is likely that they do not get quality entertainment here in Telhain very often.

2 Likes

“My name is Eden-Prairie,” the gnome says to the room at large. “Bart Eden-Prairie.”
He takes a sip of the stout, but decides to nurse this one for a while. He settles down to listen to the conversation of the room (Perception result 8*). But either he has silenced any conversation or there’s a buzzing in his ear.

'* that’s a natural 1.

2 Likes

What do Mart and Coleman look like?

2 Likes

Mart is a gnome with dark hair and brown eyes and fairly pointy ears. His skin is sort of a medium shade. Nothing too distinctive, but there’s a spark in his eye that draws the attention. He is wearing an ordinary artisan’s outfit, and his cap is on the floor before him. His legs do not reach the ground where he is sitting and you’d estimate he can’t be much more than 3’ tall.

2 Likes

Coleman raises his mug to acknowledge Mart, relishing the fine tunes and tasty brew; he also appreciates the doting ways of his race, and gives the bartender 5 CP +2 (one from the Bard, you know)…

He’s a staunch little fellow, with grey to white locks on the side of his head that braid and reach down past his shoulders. The rest of his head is without hair, and seems to shine with the firelight from the room. His eyes are a little narrower than a normal dwarf, but he’ll tell you that comes from his ancestors prolonged squinting. He lacks a “true” dwarven beard; but you can tell from his afternoon stubble that he has no problem growing one. He wears a traveler’s casual attire, with a pale green color; his clothes are threadbare and road long; but he does seem to carry himself with the confidence only a fighter can exhibit. As you watch, you notice he’s watching you, and everyone else in the establishment; a furtive glance, with open ears. He gulps his mug, letting the ale drip down his face into the collar of his shirt.

“Good stuff, this! You got any grub, innkeeper?”

1 Like

Mart is unable to determine what conversation is happening in the Inn, nor the general disposition of the patrons. The stout is strong, but the one cup would not have affected his senses much. Some of the locals do wander over and toss a copper or two into the hat during the lull in music, clearly hoping to hear more.

Responding to Coleman, Branim says, “Aye, the local cheese here is not bad, and the bread is fresh from the baker this morning. I have a haunch of venison roasting on a spit in the kitchen as well. I can fix you a plate for 3 silver if you like.”

ETA: quick GM’s note, still waiting on one more to get things started in earnest, but regardless I think I will get the adventure officially under way tomorrow morning, and we will just slot the new character in when they are ready.

3 Likes

“Argh! More ale, wench! And other NPC-type things!”

5 Likes

The ale wench is used exclusively for getting the kegs off the wagon. Well, that, and removing unconscious Half-orks from the common room at last call.

5 Likes

Should we assume we already know the information in the adventure background up above?

2 Likes

To some degree, yes. You have at least heard one of the legends regarding the tower, or a similar variation, which is ultimately why each of you has decided to travel to Telhain.

2 Likes

Bonnie is playing it cool this evening, watching and listening. As a young woman traveling alone she doesn’t want to make herself a focus of attention, or aggravate already-suspicious locals by asking unwelcome questions. She is keeping her ears open for anyone who might happen to mention the Devil’s Bargain/Hill (perception check 8… guh).

She’s marked Coleman as the type who might potentially be interested in investigating. She isn’t sure whether Mart is an adventurer or just a performer at this point.

2 Likes

Coleman’s pretty clueless munching venison and sopping with some homemade bread (slips silver to barkeep).

“This is good grub, Branim, but; what can I ask you a question”

Coleman side eyes the rest of the bar, trying his best to be subtle, but…

“Whadda ya think about Hallanar’s Ascent? Is it really what they suppose it to be?”

Coleman bangs his mug on the bar to get the other patron’s attention

“Bard, sthing me a dwarven tune of Hallanar’s Ascent; and you louts, there, let’s give some copper to the poor thing, he could use a good supper !”

2 Likes

OK, Bonnie’s already starting to like Coleman.

3 Likes

Coleman has noticed Bonnie quietly observing; and now has some liquid social lubricant - he begins to meander from table to table starting small talk and trying to make his way towards Bonnie’s table.

“Excuse me, miss, what do you think of this place?”

2 Likes

Mart tries to recall a song about the Devil’s Bargain (Knowledge [history] result 18). He probably knows a song that deals with the story. Makes sense, since he knew he’d be coming this way. His song probably references the human legend rather than the dwarven or elven.

3 Likes

Mart actually knows the Dwarven tale better than the Human version, but he does not know any songs about it. No matter to Mart, however, as he knows a Gnomish song that tracks fairly well with with the Dwarven legend. By changing the name of the tower in question, and rearranging a verse or two, he is able to entertain with a song that might as well be about Hallanar’s Ascent, and no one is the wiser.

More coins are tossed in the hat, and there might even be a glint of silver in the mix now.

3 Likes

“I’ve heard every tale there is to hear about that tower.” Branim replies, “An’ while me father was no stone mason, I’d shave… er, I mean I’d swear on me Old Granpap’s Mash Tun that yonder tower is no Dwarven stonework.” Branim attempts to studiously ignore Coleman’s shaven face, but isn’t very good at it.

3 Likes