New Record Player, Same Platter Mat

Was recently gifted a new turntable to replace my ancient super entry level one, and I couldn’t bring myself to replace my old platter mat! Generally, I’m not big on merch but I love this mat.

I’m not an obsessive vinyl collector, but I do have some of my all-time favorites in that format and I’ve wanted to upgrade my table for years.

With a record:

17 Likes

It looks weirdly spherical… Is that an optical illusion!?! That’s incredible.

5 Likes

Just an optical illusion that’s probably exaggerated by the angle I took the picture from. I’ll try taking a picture more straight on to see if it looks much different.

EDIT: Straight down angle, not sure if this makes it look more or less spherical. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

It still looks kinda 3D - that’s AWESOME

3 Likes

Does the mat enhance the “la”'s of every song?

8 Likes

A bit off topic but since it’s in one of the photos – Tomorrow’s Harvest is sorta incredible.

2 Likes

I know zip, zero, and zilch about playing vinyl, but it looks cool :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just got Tomorrow’s Harvest yesterday! But on CD, not vinyl. My turntable bit the dust years ago and I haven’t replaced it. Don’t really have room for it or a growing vinyl collection anymore as I live in an apartment.

2 Likes

Step one is clipping a needle sharp fingernail clipping.

3 Likes

@AndrewCrossett and @ColdStorage I’m a huge BoC fan, and Tomorrow’s Harvest is up there with their best for me. On any given day I have a hard time picking between it and Geogaddi as my favorite.

I think generally it’s seen as a lesser album, but I gotta disagree!

Just arrived: Radiohead’s anniversary re-issue of Kid A and Amnesiac, so I’ll be spinning that up ASAP.

@lihatt I’m no expert myself, although I did learn a lot while researching recently. Before I had a pretty basic plug and play setup that I bought like a decade ago. It’s one of those things that can be as simple or as hard as you want it to be! Just be careful about buying those cheap Crosley turntables, especially if you’re playing rare or expensive records on it. Supposedly they have styluses that can damage records, although I’ve also read that that fear is overblown. So who knows how big of a deal it is!

1 Like

My favorite Boards of Canada tracks are “Seeya Later”, “Telephasic Workshop” and “1969”. Have to see if anything on this album compares.

2 Likes

…Everything you said here just went way over my head. I feel confident I could plug a turntable into an electric socket. Everything else about it is completely outside of my experience lol. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to get a record player of my own. My mum’s has been broken for decades. I’m slowly building a record collection. The ones I want are harder to find in the US. Maybe if I make a small fortune I could go to the UK and buy them.

1 Like

Which one(s) are you looking at?

1 Like

I want that.

2 Likes

I wish that mat was still available, would have picked one up in a second had I known about it when it came out.

When I moved into this house I resurrectedd my old Sansui turntable, I was surprised I could still get a new cartridge for it.

Then I wanted to play my old 78s again, so got a new Audio Technica so I could easily swap headshells. Old 78s require a much larger stylus, a stylus for a LP just swims in the bottom of the grove on a 78.

Then I did some major fixes on my old Victrola, got it working well. And there are people that make new needles for them so got a pack. You are supposed to put a new needle on every time you play a 78 on a Victrola and it does make a big difference in the sound. I’ve always used old worn out needles and getting a pack of new ones made a big difference.

New and old turntables, the Victrola was made in the early 1920s, so these 2 were made almost 100 years apart:

There are a few 78s from around 1906 in there, and some LPs I got this year, so the picture also has discs separated by 110+ years.

3 Likes

When I was a kid my parents had a huge Victrola about the size of a sofa… built-in speakers in the cabinet and closets for storing records. You could kill somebody with one of the needles it used.

1 Like

I did not get that mat when it came out and I am not exaggerating when I say I regret it at least once a week. :laughing: :sob:

4 Likes

Looks like a good turntable to play Digger Smolkens’ greatest hits.

“Isn’t it rats, aren’t we a corpse…”

3 Likes

It’s easier to list the ones I do have.
Queen Greatest Hits 1&2
The Game
News Of The World
A Day At The Races
Sheer Heart Attack
I’m not concerned about single releases or if they’re colored vinyl vs black.

1 Like