Opening Titles Mostest

What riffing of an experiment’s opening titles is your favorite?

The pummeling of Cave Dwellers (1982) is why I’m a MSTie. The three name assassins, “the Shoebox format…”, Joel thinking the movie’s title was a name only to have Servo correct him. The beating during the opener often sets the stage. What’s yours?

4 Likes

Those bleary, cheap-o FVI titles were just served-up riffing gold weren’t they?

3 Likes

The opening of Catalina Caper is really enjoyable, both for the riffs and the kitschy animation. The first one that popped in my head was Riding with Death:
“That gooey L.A. sky.”
“Step ball kick change go!”
“William Sylvester’s theme!”

3 Likes

I appreciate how that main theme gave them so much to work with, not just there but also in the end credits. I know, different discussion, but I love it that I have “Music editor: Bettie Biery and Fred Priorrrrrrrrrr… Women’s costumes by George H. Whitakerrrrrrrrr!” from the end credits committed to memory due to its earworminess.

3 Likes

What I loved about the titles from Terror from the Year 5000 is how Servo sets the stage by having so much fun at the expense of the terror-hyping narrator at the start of the movie.

“THERE SEEMS TO BE SOME SORT OF DELAY ON THE TERROR, I’LL JUST GO IN BACK AND CHECK WHAT THE PROBLEM IS!”

5 Likes

I also gotta show some love for the spot-on riffing over the “HEEEEEEEEEEEEE LOVES ME” opening sequence from Operation Double 007.

It was all worth it just for Servo’s triumphant “HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS FAVORITE MOVIE IS TURNER AND HOOCH” riff.

5 Likes

Future Wax and Hobgoblins

1 Like

Am I alone in admiring Avalanche’s (1978)? The strong joking and modern references stood it apart. Not that long whereas I smiled at every riff.

2 Likes

They were. Like the shorts, they read like movies in themselves and often invited better riffs than entire experiments. Cave Dwellers (1982), Pod People (1983), and Marooned (1969) aka The Space Travellers are what most pops in mind. Watching Being From Another Planet (1982) it too is FVI. The signature is unmistakable.

1 Like

Mittens.

3 Likes

Hard to refute that. The Bullittesque (1968) title opening smothered in 70s stylings practically begged Joel and company to seranade it. The variations on Mitchell’s name is classic.

roll lobster GIF

Side Hackers gets a brutal reception. It starts with “Postage stamp theater presents…” and only gets better.

2 Likes

I have to put in a vote for Moon Zero Two animated intro! :smiley:

4 Likes