Music Awards #2: Best MST Movie Opening Credits Song

It’s now official! The Best Song in an MST3K movie is “Are You Happy In Your Work?” from I Accuse My Parents! Huzzahs to the cheater and raise a charbroiled hamburger sammich with french fried potatoes garnish in celebration.

Now we move on to the best song used in an MST movie’s opening credits. This one is all about a song with lyrics that is performed in the movie’s opening.

• “Night Train to Mundo Fine” from Red Zone Cuba
  • “Never Steal Anything Wet” from Catalina Caper
  • “Moon Zero Two” from Moon Zero Two
  • “He Loved Me” from Double Double 07
  • “Hooray for Santy Claus” from Santa Claus vs. The Martians
  • “Green Slime” from Green Slime
  • “Bupa-Dupa-Dada” from Danger! Death Ray!!
  • “Girls Town” from Girls Town
  • “Girl in Gold Boots” from The Girl in Gold Boots
  • “Hellcats” from The Hellcats
  • “Family Vacation” from Manos: The Hands of Fate
  • “Deep Deep Down” from Diabolik

0 voters

I think this about covers it. Movies with music (but no lyrics) in the opening will be a separate poll in the future. Vote early and vote often!

6 Likes

No one has any other items for the list? I’m taunting you…

2 Likes

I would have guessed Daddy-O did but that one doesn’t have words. Would have been in the running for best song if it had.

2 Likes

Yeah there’s surprisingly few MST outings that have songs in the opening. As you say, there’s some that have some great MUSIC in the open, but not a lot that have songs with words. I’ve been banging my head on this one for a while and the ones in the list are the only ones I could come up with. I’ll give it a few more hours to see if any of the boffins here can dredge up a couple more offerings, but I think this might be it. And TBH, the Bupa-Dada-Dupa-Dada ‘song’ from DDR is kind of pushing it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Girl in Gold Boots has an opening number.

It sort of crosses over with your previous category.

3 Likes

Good call - I’d say that it counts since it’s playing in the opening credits.

2 Likes

Hellcats’ opening credits song has lyrics.

5 Likes

But nobody can make out the lyrics. Not even the people singing them. Pretty sure that song was recorded in a cracked cedar chest dumped in the middle of a vacant lot.

4 Likes

No disagreement on any of that. Never said it was a GOOD song. :rofl: It just fits the theme, and if @The_Riddler wants to be complete, it should be included.

3 Likes

Does the Manos song count as an opener? It takes a while to start. I can’t remember whether the vocals begin before the credits or after. :thinking:

4 Likes

Time has no meaning in Manos. Things happen, but the order doesn’t matter.

9 Likes

Deep Deep Down from Danger Diabolik is a good one.

2 Likes

What’s the title of the Hellcat’s opening credit song?

And yeah I’d say the Manos opening song counts too.

Is the Diabolik song playing in the opening credits? It’s been so long since I’ve seen that episode I can’t remember.

3 Likes

If this YouTube link is accurate, it’s “Hellcats” by Davy Jones & The Dolphins.

3 Likes

DING DING DING DING DING

We have a winner.

4 Likes

All I know for sure is that it has a real contender for best closing credits song. “Forgetting You” is damn amazing.

6 Likes

What’s with all the discrimination against instrumentals?

2 Likes

I agonized over Manos a little… It is really just a soft jazz riff for almost 4 minutes before the title card comes on and the first actual lyrics drop. But … given that it DID have words and it WAS played during a title sequence (of sorts) I’ll go ahead and count it. :slight_smile:

What’s with all the discrimination against instrumentals?

Frankly? There’s just too many of them. They will be in Music Award thread #3 and really deserve their own category.

7 Likes

HIS FAVORITE MOVIE IS TURNER AND HOOCH! :grin:

5 Likes

The polls are now open!

5 Likes