Ozempic

My doctor is putting me on this for diabetes and weight loss, which of course are linked.

Anyone have any experience with this, or know someone who does? I’ve seen a lot of nasty stories about people who hate all their favorite foods after they start taking it, and can’t eat more than a few bites without getting sick.

Personally I’d rather accept the risks of eating poorly than the misery of not wanting to eat at all. We’ll see how it goes but I’m not sure I’m likely to stick with it very long.

2 Likes

I don’t have any experience with it (beyond the commercials). Hopefully it works for you and doesn’t wreck your palate.

1 Like

Wait. Is the appetite suppression a bug or a feature? :frowning:

Both from what I read. It works great for weight loss, but some people find losing the joy of good food to be intolerable. Seems like a real double edged sword.

I’m not on it myself but I’m anticipating a time when a majority of Americans over 40 are, like statins. So I guess we’ll see.

2 Likes

Already went through a variation of that with Long Covid. Things I used to like suddenly held no appeal. Funny that during that time I lost a few pounds but even the doctors concurred that it wasn’t the right way to do that.

(Sorry for hijacking your thread, A.C. Maybe they can modify the dosage or something if it gets to be too much.)

1 Like

The dosage gets ramped up over time. I’m supposed to take it for 4 weeks (one dose a week) and then contact my doctor to tell him how I’m tolerating it. If it’s OK he will start raising the dose gradually.

Just before Christmas is probably not the ideal time to start hating food. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes

I hope you can work it out, or at least that the “curbing” becomes less severe or easier to deal with.

1 Like

Seems like it would lead to a LOT of food waste. People say they eat 4 or 5 bites and are full. But meals are seldom sold in 4-5 bite portions.

2 Likes

I also hope they can monitor to make sure you still get the nutrition you actually need. I have read a lot about how U.S. G.P.s don’t spend enough time learning about Nutrition or keeping their knowledge up to date. Ugh.

Yeah, I’m skeptical that you can get the nutrition you need at 4-5 bites per meal.

Aside from blood sugar, all my tests are perfectly normal (except for triglycerides, which are high, though my cholesterol is good). I’m getting the nutrition I need, but that might not remain the case.

2 Likes

I guess I’m doing all right that way, too. Sugar crept up some but hopefully they can just add another dose of Glipizide if that becomes urgent instead of changing me over to this stuff. (Also blah blah blah the Menace of Mutant Kidneys but that’s heredity, so whatever.)

My a1C right now is 6.8, which is near its all-time high. It was as low as 6… just before the pandemic and two years of sitting on my butt eating whatever happened to be easily obtainable. Stopped walking as much as I did because of foot pain, too.

1 Like

The thing I don’t get is that even the CDC has done studies showing that almost no one who loses significant weight will keep it off after five years or so. And yet we’re all still supposed to carry on like losing weight is the all and everything. It just feels like a complete failure to meet people where we live. It makes about as much sense as telling someone in poverty to buy more scratch tickets. Grrrr…

With Ozempic you gain all the weight back if you ever stop taking it. So… yeah, you’re tied to it forever. It’s $1,000 a month if you ever lose insurance.

2 Likes

If you guys are trying to lose weight, have you tried a mystery illness where you live on nothing but liquids for months? Because if you haven’t, let me tell you… I went from XL pants to a medium. This is a weight loss method I would recommend to anyone who doesn’t mind lots of hospital bills.

5 Likes

:confounded:

I really don’t want to turn into one of those fools I’m stuck working volunteering with who blathers on about the evils of Big Pharma and then graduates to Nanites in kids’ vitamins and aliens speaking through our dental work… but some days it’s really tempting.

2 Likes

I guess it works like any other medication… does its job, has side effects, stops working if you stop taking it. The root problem is that healthy food is so much harder to get and so much more expensive than junk food.

4 Likes

Antidepressants can make you gain weight and Ozempic can make you lose weight, so if you take both at the same time, can you maintain a consistent weight?

Well, the assistant at the doc’s office last week was all smiles because my weight is still slightly down since last year. But given my kidney readings that could just as easily be dehydration. So, yeah… [grumble]

2 Likes

I should lose about 50 lbs. I’m taking Lexapro, and am not sure if that contributes anything to my weight.

2 Likes