Pop Culture I'm Ashamed I Like

It does make it look all math-y and stuff. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve written for Star Trek, XMen, Highlander, Avengers, Law & Order, Star Wars, Quantum Leap, and Babylon 5…that’s just what I’ve “published.” Done a few other scattered bits and bobs over the years.

5 Likes

I used to be a bit ashamed at loving Abbott & Costello, but I got over it.

If it exists at all, it’s because someone who is not you also likes it. So find that person and buddy up!

I mean, that’s why we’re all here, right?

8 Likes

Abbott and Costello are hilarious. There’s no shame there. I rank them way above The Three Stooges.

You tell me this isn’t funny.

4 Likes

Oh, I’ve always known they were funny. I think the problem was that I grew up on them and at some point felt that, because I loved them as a kid, they were somehow ‘juvenile’.

As I said, I got over it.

4 Likes

They’re the next generation’s Laurel & Hardy. I’m fond of all four.

3 Likes

When I was a kid, a local St. Louis TV station had an Abbott & Costello movie on every Saturday afternoon for several years. I got to see most of their movies over and over again – because back in those days there were only a handful of channels to watch.

Perhaps seeing all those movies so often while so young was a form of brainwashing, but I am of the mind that Lou Costello was one of the greatest all-around comedians America has ever produced. That man could do it all: physical comedy, verbal comedy, slapstick, pratfalls, spit takes, word play, double takes.

This my favorite A&C routine –

1 Like

And your read on Bud? Likable or unlikable? I go back and forth. Absent Abbott, Lou wouldn’t shine. A job as a straight man isn’t easy. Just ask Oliver Hardy.

1 Like

Very true. When my stepdad was growing up, L&H were “old-fashioned” and A&C were the hot stuff.

2 Likes

Then A&C were replaced with Martin and Lewis.

2 Likes

Agreed that Lou Costello as a single performer would never have been as successful. He needed some one to play off of. Bud Abbott was great at keeping the pacing of their bits on track. Not an easy job with a scene stealer like Lou.

Did any one else see that TV movie biopic that starred Harvey Korman as Bud and Buddy Hackett as Lou?

Oliver Hardy was more than just the straight man of their team. He had his own moments of comedic brilliance in many of their films. Every one of those “Just look at what I put up with” looks he gives to the camera is priceless.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I own everything that I do. If someone doesn’t like it or thinks it’s worthless or stupid, that’s on them. On the other end of things, if I think something is worthless or stupid that someone else loves, I do make an attempt to try to ascertain why it is that they love it.

Or at the very least, try to learn about that thing as much as I can so that I can better ridicule their choice later on… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed. Hardy silently suffered so courageously. Those looks drew your sympathy. You really felt for him to a degree you never do for Bud. Hardy matched Laurel in seeing his side of it and dancing and embracing to the whimsy so completely. Way Out West (1937) is proof of Oliver stretching the moment and carving an equally memorable place for himself alongside his partner. His bits of business are as accomplished and his face during the Trail of the Lonesome Pine sequence is priceless. Hardy operated as a Straight Man while offering equally intense reactions and stoking the comedy in his own image unlike later successors. My use of the term is no disparagement to Hardy. He lifted it to a whole new level and is more than Stanley’s foil. He’s his equal in every sense of the word.

2 Likes

Hawaiian-based CBS criminal procedure shows. I know they are formulaic junk food meant for people much older than me, but sometimes I want junk food and plus there are members of my family who do honestly love them so it provides a way to bond with them.

4 Likes

Would Hawaii Five-0 and Magnum P.I. qualify? The originals? Or are you referring to the recent crop? I presume the latter.

Yeah, the recent crop (plus the recently launched NCIS Hawaii). They aren’t actively bad, per se, just generic. If not for the fact that they have the old brands and the cool locations they’d just be any other procedural.

1 Like

I loved them before he made it HIP in 2000.
American Psycho Point GIF

2 Likes

Huey Lewis is great! Saw him (sans the News) years ago. He was wonderful.

4 Likes

Right Said Fred. “I’m Too Sexy” never dies. My friends wince when I go there.

2 Likes