Pop Culture I Hate and Wish I Didn't

What pop culture do you hate and wish you didn’t? Modern Family, Scream, Michael Jackson, Law & Order? Much incense you that gives you second thoughts?

1 Like

I wish I didn’t hate the fact that Harry Potter is a tedious mope.

6 Likes

I’m proud to fly my freak flag and detest popular things.

(Not all popular things, of course. I still love Weird Al and as far as I can tell, almost everyone else does, too.)

4 Likes

Most pop music of the past two decades.

3 Likes

I don’t get most computer games, so a lot of references to them slip by me. For the most part, I play puzzles, math/logic problems, casual, and very silly things.

I am dimly aware that this thing called ‘Final Fantasy’ exists and despite being final, there are apparently about twenty of them.

6 Likes

:Looks around to make sure nobody is listening:

(Whispers) I’ve never watched game of thrones. And I don’t feel that bad about it.

9 Likes

Baseball. There’s just so g–damn much of it!

4 Likes

At risk of being completely banned from this forum, any and all Marvel and DC movies of the last 20 years. They don’t do anything for me. It gets especially akward because coworkers and casual acquaintances who know I dig other popular cinematic universes like Star Wars and Dune and Blade Runner assume I must dig superheroes as well. So, I have to gently demurr on many conversations they try to start with me simply because I don’t know much about the arcs of these movies.

6 Likes

I wish I could get into the Wheel of Time because my wife loves it. I tried to read the first book and I couldn’t get past the first couple of chapters. It was SO BORING!

I would love to be able to talk to her about it but bleah.

I also sort of wish I liked Game of Thrones because everyone else seems to, but I saw the first episode, said, “that’s enough incest for me,” and never watched another.

5 Likes

I tried to get started on Mad Men on three different occasions, and each time, I could never make it past the pilot episode.

I wish that I didn’t dislike it so much so that I could join in on the conversation, but I just wasn’t feeling it.

4 Likes

I have a problem enjoying most modern horror/thriller/psychodrama stuff (e.g., Squid Game, The Joker, Midsommar, M. Night Shamalama stuff, etc) because as soon as I recognize some sort of emotional manipulation trick, I get annoyed and lose interest. If I’m stuck watching it, it gets worse, because I resent the movie/show and want it to suffer. MSTies understand where this goes next.

6 Likes

You know that Captain America screenshot where he’s saying “I understood that reference”? That’s me. I don’t get most of pop culture. I have never really been “With It.” I miss so many jokes and references that I spend a lot of time watching 70s and 80s TV shows because I understand those references NOW.

I’m like chronically 40 years behind what’s going on.

2 Likes

Amen, brother (or sister, or non-denominational sibling, as the case may be). We may be exiled and howling in the wilderness now, but the day will come when we shall rise up and the streets of Hollywood will run silver with the nitrate of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and on that day we shall be as Gods!

ahem. Sorry. How much of that was out loud? Bottom line, I am with you that superhero movies just aren’t that interesting.

3 Likes

Same. Watched the first episode of Mad Men and it did absolutely nothing for me. I was not at all interested in continuing. I don’t really like shows where everyone is a reprehensible jerk.

3 Likes

I had that reaction to the first book too. (That, and it seemed way too derivative.) I watched the first episode of the TV show last night thinking the new format might punch things up a bit.

It didn’t.

2 Likes

Also, Lord of the Rings was the most boring book I ever read on my own initiative (forced slogs through so-called “great literature” in high school don’t count). I gave up most of the way through Fellowship, and when I refer to Tolkein as the Dickens of fantasy fiction, that is very much intended as a backhanded compliment.

My dad took me to see the Bakshi version in the theater, but I haven’t bothered with the Peter Jackson movies. I did see the first Hobbit movie, but was disappointed with the stunt casting, unnecessary padding, and “this is gonna be a ride at a theme park!” sequences.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen Game of Thrones, and have no interest in changing that.

Squid Game goes right over my head. I don’t like gore to begin with, so anything that bloody is a pass) My husband had to explain what all the kids were wearing as Hallowe’en costumes this year. (My first reaction was, they’re kids, why are they watching that???

4 Likes

I find Modern Family too milquetoast to really be worth hatred.

I tell myself I should really just relax every time I see someone in a “Bazinga!” T-shirt, but damn do I find that show annoying (and it bugs me that I get accused of “nerd snobbery” when I say it’s pandering and poorly written)

4 Likes

I have never seen a single movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and have absolutely no interest in seeing one. The whole concept leaves me completely cold.

4 Likes

I’ve seen quite a few of the Marvel movies and I’m not really sure why because I don’t retain much memory of them after seeing them. I couldn’t even tell you what happened in Captain Marvel even though I saw it. I don’t remember a thing. They’re so easy to forget. You’re. not missing much.

1 Like