Sayings you picked up from MST3k

When someone on a movie or show gives an order to do something, I often think, “YOU do it! I’m bitter!”

15 Likes

I can’t believe I forgot “You snost and you lost”! I say it all the time.

5 Likes

Today, 2 of the members of the family used, “Say, now there’s an idea.” “Not a good one, but an idea.”

10 Likes

For years, if anyone in the room said something that made no sense at all, I’ve responded with “The banjo becomes angry at midnight.

Recently, I re-watched the MST The Sword and the Dragon episode and heard Crow say that and thought, “Oh! THAT’s where I picked that up.” I’d completely forgotten it was a MST line.

14 Likes

When terrible visual effects make their presence felt in a movie, I have to say as Crow once did:

“Special effects by Billy!!!”

11 Likes

Love, love, love that line. Followed immediately with something like “what they hell are you talking about?!?!?!”

5 Likes

Yep! Pretty much exactly that scenario.

Occasionally I’ll swap the banjo line for “The door is made of soup,” but that’s from an old Cartoon Planet/Space Ghost episode (pre-SGC2C, iirc), instead of from MST.

4 Likes

“ACTING!” from the movie

11 Likes

“I REGRET NOTHING!” got a lot of play when I played a lot more video games and needed to laugh at a cheap death I’d just taken.

10 Likes

If it’s a super cold day, I tend to say “Is it supposed to be this cold?” referencing Servo from Season 5’s “The Atomic Brain”.

7 Likes

When my niece and nephew were young “Time for go to bed” was a standard of mine.

Also any time a friend says “I don’t believe it” or anything similar it’s a stone cold lock that the next words out of my mouth are “He hit Big Jake”.

13 Likes

I’m particularly fond of Servo’s put-upon “Look, can’t we just rock?” from Soultaker.

“All right tree, start talking!” in Mike’s hard-boiled cop voice from The Thing that Couldn’t Die is also occasionally appropriate.

On the more mocking side, I’ve been known to use “I’m-ba get some… pork gravy…” (Riding With Death) or “Mah Charlie Daniels T-shirt is in there!” (Angels Revenge) when someone on TV has a particularly impenetrable Southern accent.

7 Likes

As a child that is understandable

4 Likes

wow-zee-wow-WOW!

7 Likes

One of my favorites, and for some reason the riff always makes me laugh out loud when I see it in Mitchell–“Whoa, I didn’t think he’d be that mad.”

It now gets quoted whenever disproportionate retribution happens.

4 Likes

“Breach Hull - All Die.” Even had it underlined.

12 Likes

Kitty looks like a potato.
Miss Hathaway, Jethro wants to be a rock star!
Naugh-ty spank and naugh-ty spank.
He failed to bring home the Sampo…
Gamera is really neat, he is full of turtle meat!
Eee-yesssss?
frank-nelson-actor-cf054ff7-7910-4412-b2b5-9180a930b11-resize-750

12 Likes

I used “can’t we get beyond Thunderdome?” In conversation at the dog park the other day. Sadly nobody got the ref, but there was something delicious about sneaking it in there. Like using Thieves Cant.

16 Likes

I find the opportunities to use that one are few and far between, but I am always ready to pounce on any mention of “Thunderdome”. Unfortunately no one ever really gets it.

7 Likes

After 30 years of watching MST3k, not a day goes by that at least one quote or word or song from the show isn’t used.

The most regularly used are when someone says (x) hours, when (x) isn’t exactly 24. “(X) hours? What’s that? A metric day?” (from the Turkey Day “We Gather Together” ad)

If anyone is foolish enough to slip up and ask “How is it?”, at least one member of our household is going to throw up the OK hand-sign and say “It stinks!”

Likewise, the words “I don’t care” will always bring: “Why doesn’t Johnny care? Johnny’s world is filled with dark shadowy figures, a prick of the needle and they are gone, gone, gone… No one stays too long in Johnny’s world. Would you?” which is probably a rough paraphrase at this point, but never fails to bring a smile. Time of the Apes is one of our favorites.

Because I am follicly-challenged my head is always called “the fortress of balditude.” Originally directed at poor Donald Pleasance in The Puma-Man, I think.

Whenever we’re eating something particularly unhealthy someone is sure to make a twitching motion and say “Sorry, I’m passing a ham through my left ventricle.” Cannot even recall what episode that was in.

And the list could go on and on and on…

13 Likes