Season 13 Show Scheduling

Season 13 premieres March 2022. A concern I have is by a one episode per month rate the Halloween Special airs January 2023 and the Christmas Special March 2023. Is that worrying to you? I also read of March possibly releasing two episodes. Is double unveiling of shows here and there a viable means of the specials landing on time? Or is the timing of no consequence? The survival of MST3K is more important to me then when an episode airs. Previously the Christmas That Almost Wasn’t (1966) landed in April. So is there anything to fret about or is more MST3K outweigh when it arrives?

2 Likes

I was wondering about this myself… at this point I’m sort of hoping that the order the episodes release in won’t matter at all, and they’ll be able to do the holiday specials in the middle of the season. Or maybe even skip a few months in 2023 and save them for October and December of that year, filling the extra months with some fun live streams or something instead.

It’s not a HUGE deal, but there aren’t very many seasonal special things I look forward to during the season, so having some MST3K ones hit at the right time would be awesome. It would fit nicely with Red Letter Media’s Halloween and Christmas themed Best of the Worst episodes.

4 Likes

Well, it’s not like there aren’t shows that are broadcast in a different order than their production order, so it is potentially possible the 13 release in a different order than the order they were shown on Turkey Day.

But for the sake of it, You should really just relax…

4 Likes

The only thing that might get in the way of that is if they have an ongoing storyline that eventually culminates into those holiday specials. Might not make sense to show them out of order if that’s the case… and in which case I would honestly prefer they held onto them for a couple of extra months. But that’s just me!

I Think You Should Leave New Years Eve GIF by The Gregory Brothers

2 Likes

A section of me like you would celebrate were the specials to launch on the exact date. Having said that, the Gizmoplex is the future of MST3K and it securing subscriptions for 13 straight months and sustaining subsequent seasons of MST3K without the need of later Kickstarter campaigns is more important than episodes that line up to to the right month.

2 Likes

The Gizmoplex subscription, especially those rewards that were designed to give backers a year to watch all the premiers, would suggest the plan is (or at least was) to release the episodes in consecutive months. So I doubt there’ll be any breaks in the releases.

However, this schedule could be a good thing. If the releases aren’t seasonally aligned, we can enjoy them upon release, have a break, then enjoy them again in season.

5 Likes

And there will be other special events going on, that might be a way to fill the gaps. We get a Rifftrax show in there somewhere.

4 Likes

The truth of modern series today is ongoing story matters to the viewers and to the producers and writers who adhere to the fashions of contemporary tastes which include it. Watching how Joel plans and executes from Seasons 11 and 12, he incorporates an ongoing narrative now and treats it very seriously. Having seen past seasons, I can’t accept that Joel would alter his plan to enable specials to drop on time at the expense of the whole season. The order as announced is likely to be how they roll out. Joel is old-fashioned and straightforward. Once he shares an intention barring an emergency or anything out of his control, the promise is almost always as he says.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure they won’t put out a Halloween special in January or a Christmas one in March. They’ll make it work out. The calendar is our servant, not our master.

It’s why I implied a hastened schedule (2 episodes a month here and there) as a feasible solution and one teased earlier. To “not” putting out the specials on off-months? The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t (1966) in Season 11 fell April 2017 simultaneously with the other episodes. Now that Netflix and their format are no longer a consideration, will Joel heed to his own timetable? Is having the specials unleashed in a timely way even a factor understanding the Gizmoplex and the 13 months of programming are essential to its success? I lean towards most are so ecstatic on those new shows existing they don’t care when they materialize.

Logically the one a month tactic guarantees each episode a moment to shine and a year plus of exclusive offerings attracting MSTies and newcomers into the fold to see it. This is where MST earns its keep and pays for itself. The 13 months is set in stone and necessary to this end. Probably those specials shall air in January and March unless they quicken the releasing which shortens the Gizmoplex’s window of earnings. Above everything the sustainability of MST3K is the largest priority. To delaying the specials another half a year or more to be perfectly timed? Joel wouldn’t do that to the fans. They waited long enough and he is indebted to each of us for helping out. Either we get them out of season and consecutively or he speeds the dispersement to bend to the calendar. Those are my thoughts.

It doesn’t matter to me when they air the specials. I’ll watch it when it’s released and again during the holiday. This show is made for rewatching, so I plan on doing just that.

3 Likes

They were pretty clear during the KS that the Hallowe’en episode would air in October and the Christmas episode in December, and within the 12-month subscription for those who pledged for that. It was also pretty well hinted that the episode air order is the same as the announcement order during the Turkey Day marathon.

How they make that work is yet to be seen.

5 Likes

Starring Pauly Shore?

2 Likes

Two things:

1. I thought this was in reply to the other discussion and was massively confused as to how Pauly Shore and the Hambugler were in the same conversation.

2. I’m still confused as to how Pauly Shore is relevant to this conversation. :confused:

4 Likes
1 Like

As I said above but not in detail, uncorking two episodes a month for three months would make that work. I too have caught those hints and to fulfill the specials reaching those months while telling the season properly and in order doubling three months with two episodes would align those specials to their given months. Going to their hints I spied what you saw and I read earlier comments that alluded to stretching it out. In assessing it, I parked in-between everything I’ve consumed and asked the question. I agree that they hinted that would be and I was fascinated if the rest of you thought so too. To the release schedule? The air arrangement is almost certain to match how they appeared on Turkey Day and their production numbers reflect that order.

IIRC there’s going to be thirteen movies, twelve shorts, and twelve special events. My guess is that they’ll probably release them at a rate of one a week in the following manner: Movie, short, special event, movie, short, special event, and so on. Adhering to this strictly from the beginning of March would mean that The Christmas Dragon would come out in the middle of November, so I figure there might be a bye week after every set of two to get the timing of the holiday specials right. This of course is purely speculation on my part, but seems reasonable.

3 Likes

No matter what happens, this will be an exciting year!

4 Likes

Ivan did say they plan to air all of season 13 this year and then send out the physcical blu-ray/dvd boxes that some people paid for in the kickstarter in Jan 2023.

3 Likes

These days mid-November is well within the Christmas season. Thanksgiving is just halftime.

4 Likes