Show us your most recent mundane, stupid, non-MST3K accomplishment

Took down this incredibly loud-mouthed, lame MF today at the table. Yeah, he’s a friendly acquaintance, but very annoying in many respects. And he is a good pool player, although he’s just a banger and a one-shot-ahead type, although he can run five balls or whatever in eight-ball provided he’s not against someone like me who knows how to play defensively when necessary. He is a good shot, but IMHO that’s not what pool’s about.

I’m telling you, Elton John-sized eyeglasses work, if one is a bit myopic! Next year when my vision insurance renews, I’m going for some ridiculous…no…I’ll stick with the prescription sunglasses for pool, since I have a modicum of vanity when I wear photochromic and/or AR lenses for regular purposes.

Such that I usually don’t wear them at all unless needed for driving or seeing important things.

3 Likes

Mrs. Lowell informed me - somewhat to my surprise - that she had a craving for stew today, so I made stew. It came out well and we enjoyed it while working our way through a couple more episodes of Ted Lasso.

8 Likes

I’ve just completed folding a fitted sheet. Going to seek therapy now.

13 Likes

You fold those? I thought they were supposed to go right on the mattress.

It’s like folding a flag or something. A flag of marital glory.

6 Likes

What?! This is like casually saying, “I just time travelled” or “I just figured out fusion energy.” Folding a fitted sheet has always been possible in theory, but I’ve pretty much given up hope that it could ever be done in practice. Are you gonna have this peer-reviewed and published in a respectable journal?

10 Likes

Well, sure. But it’s a rhomboid shape…for the layperson it’s roughly a square-ish shape. But basically what most people call a “lump.” Even a trapezoidal form.

Just so long as it can be crammed into the corner of the closet where the mice nest, it’s fine.

I like to launder them every few years or so.

Never had any complaints!

4 Likes

I just ate a McRib sandwich while wearing a white shirt, and lived to tell the tale.

9 Likes

I was just told that I’ve got to establish, standardize, and centralize Technical Writing as a practice across our entire company, which is currently very siloed and global. I have not yet asked for a raise, but my boss tells me that I will get to hire help so that “you won’t be alone and be forced to mainline bathtub crank,” which is thoughtful.

9 Likes

I’ve been up for almost three hours and have not yet loudly given up on everything and gone back to bed.

That’s enough accomplishing for me.

12 Likes

dave grohl GIF

8 Likes

Meh. I switched to N/A beer…Carlshasomething after feeling my limit coming on after work today.

I think that’s an accomplishment compared to switching to Red Bull.

I also played pool against a Portland native who fishes salmon commercially up in Alaska, at least during the good part of the year. He spanked my a** pretty good, just a few games, but that was kind of neat. I’d never met a black dude who did that kind of stuff, so it was cool, and he gave me a good line on what that kind of life is all about, commercial fishing.

Those aren’t really accomplishments, but just a few bright spots in an otherwise pretty harrowing day. Good enough for me.

2 Likes

Ain’t gonna lie, I did not understand most of those words.

2 Likes

Fair enough, at least in my post. N/A means non-alcohol beer (or, like 0.05% or whatever). In my case, I’d had enough Rainier 5% beer but still wanted to hang out and chat, so I switched to something non-alcoholic. Red Bull is some kind of gross energy drink with caffeine, taurine, and lots of sugar.

The rest, as said by others above…they should explain themselves! I can only guess.

It is the Lounge, after all.

Yellow M&M, or a dog-urine infused mint?

You can have both! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Oh, and to “spank” somebody at a game means to win. Not necessarily by a big margin, but playing pool against roughly equal players, it can be a decisive win.

2 Likes

I meant your very first post in the thread. The music stuff goes over my head.

It’s more that I am not musically literate.

3 Likes

Oh. Naw, that’s just arranging furniture, basically.

IMHO, 99% of professional playing is about using the right stands (for keyboard, in my case), and the right “shape” or ergonomics of the amplification, plus pedals and cables (and backups) and having the ability to set it up and tear it down fast.

Like the old saying goes, “you get paid to move sh**, and the playing is for free.”

It’s a “win” if it sounds good (enough) and doesn’t fall down in shambles or short out when you’re sweating all over the gear. I’m happy with my ugly live rig, since I can trust it. But I need more bills than I and my peers get to bother shlepping out just “for exposure.”

7 Likes

FINALLY got some new artwork posted to my various accounts. (You can click on my profile for the ipernity link and have a look, if you want.) I hit the wall at the end of July and just couldn’t complete a damn thing. Also my computer’s junk and randomly ate some almost-finished work in August and September just to screw with me.

So… yay. :horse_racing:t3:

[ETA - Some false modesty at work here. I don’t think my pictures are “stupid,” but I do wish the assembling process was less like pulling teeth. :smiley: ]

10 Likes

I am making (by infusion), glowing and color-changing gin.

I posted this picture to a friend’s Discord and the immediate reply was “Health and mana potions!” and I am chagrined not to have thought of that myself. XD

7 Likes

Hey! There’s no need for that kind of language! :shushing_face:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

By the way, the proper way to fold a fitted sheet in my house is to stuff it into a pillowcase.

10 Likes

Yes, this x 1000!

Fold the fitted sheet into the sort-of-flat mess we all love to hate, then stick that in a pillowcase and properly fold it up.

If that set has more than one pillowcase, put that folded bundle and all the other folded sheets and pillowcases into one pillowcase at the end. Makes linen closets so much more manageable.

3 Likes

“Rhombus” is a great word.

I also like “fantods” and wish we could make that one hip again.

4 Likes