Single Random Facts

Autophagy (self-cannibalization) is probably critical to long-term health, and (IMO) probably why every religion has a time for fasting. It allows/forces the body to consume the damaged cells most likely to become cancerous, e.g. Here’s a good technical rundown of some of the high points:

Hey! We had this one already. (And I think “no one knows” because the exact stats would put iatrogenic deaths at #1 with a bullet.)

“Crazy cat lady” is a thing.

Wouldn’t the end of anything be more and more likely with every passing year? :thinking:

Back in the '50s and ‘60s, there was this idea that we couldn’t make food for all the people, and so some were destined to starve. (Well, actually, it goes back to Thomas Malthus’ essay in 1798, and double-actually, you can find ancient Romans talking about it.) Since then, the population has tripled, and there are more obese people in the world then there were people in the world in 1950!

According to The World Counts, the number is on the downtrend, so there’s that.

Point being, starvation is not a technical problem, a production problem, or even a logistics problem. We can make enough food, and we can get it anywhere cheaply. It’s solely and entirely a political problem.

This is going to be important to remember in the upcoming years, especially as food prices spiral out of control, and large areas of farmland are left fallow. Nobody starves by accident.

3 Likes

But if we get to the end of the world, who will be around to cue up that tape? Or to see it?

2 Likes

Simple — it’s on a dead Man switch. ::rimshot::

5 Likes

My dog: same, but in gallons

3 Likes

THIS is the CN-End.

6 Likes

“Forty” is the only number that when written in English all the letters are in alphabetical order.

8 Likes

Nobody will cue it up now because they threw it away after some millennial thought they were hot stuff and decided that CNN’s secrets weren’t.

2 Likes

Also “eghit”.

3 Likes

There is a non-zero percentage I have accidentally spelled it “Fourty”.

6 Likes

I’m fairly sure that it’s a fact that @Brina is some kind of sorceress.

A conjuror of mad facts, or a Ms. Ripley.

I believe the human GI system secretes around two liters or so of fluid quod diem.

It is also a known fact that Ms. Brina should do more ones about languages and stuff, because that’s good stuff.

5 Likes

All facts are false in five years.

2 Likes

All facts are false in five years.

I first heard this in 2016.

4 Likes

There’s only so many English facts that I’ve found, unfortunately.

As to the other stuff I post, the fact is I look for articles and stuff like that withnrandom facts and just paraphrase what I find to put my own spin on the wording.

4 Likes

Probably pretty obvious, but just in case you’ve wondered: If you have tickets to a show or a concert in the middle of a tour and that show cancels—not reschedules but cancels outright—because of a “scheduling conflict,” that is almost always code for “we can’t sell enough tickets.”

4 Likes

There was a conflict between them doing a concert and the audience doing other stuff.

6 Likes

Your facts make my day! (And my night…mares).

4 Likes

Spoken by James Earl Jones, natch.

Now picture how much of that ends up in your pillow.

90% of the DNA in your body is not your own.

4 Likes

But, my hands… they are my own, though, right?

3 Likes

I thought they were Dale.

2 Likes

And now we have behind the scenes facts about iconic red-carpet looks (that no one here cares about, most likely, but I’m bored and in the mood to riff on some facts).

1. Jennifer Lopez’s 2000’s Versace Grammy dress is basically the reason Google images exists (that being the green dress nearly cut down to her you-know-what), but truthfully J-Lo was NOT the first celebrity to wear it. Donatella Versace herself wore the dress a year before to the Met Gala, Sandra Bullock wore it but in a different color (she wore red, not green), and Spice Girl Geri Halliwell wore the same dress only a month before J-Lo did to another award show.

2. Billy Porter’s Christian Siriano gown for the 2019 Oscars ran into a small problem — Billy was hosting ABC’s pre-show coverage, but the gown couldn’t physically fit on the podium where Billy would be interviewing celebrities. Subsequently, a second outfit with palazzo pants inspired by Karl Largerfeld was made. It took 18-hour days to get it all done. Alls I’mma say is SLAY QUEEN.

3. The meat dress Lady Gaga wore to the 2010 VMAs was 35 pounds of meat which the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame eventually paid a taxidermist to preserve after the dress had been frozen for a couple of weeks. Purportedly the dress had to be dyed red to resemble actual raw meat and started to smell as the night wore on. I’m sorry, but the only thing I can add here is I really really hope she took SEVERAL showers right after the award show because… ew.

4. Angelina Jolie had a more “complicated” dress to wear to the 2012 Oscars but ended up going with the simpler “slit up to there” dress which blessed us with the Twitter handle @AngelinaJoliesL to commemorate the highly visible appendage bared by the black dress.

5. Kim Kardashian’s 2019 Met Gala look (the one that looks like she squeezed her body into a dress about five sizes too small while simultaneously falling into every puddle in existence) was reportedly so tight that she couldn’t sit down or even go to the bathroom. Kim reportedly had one of her sisters “wipe her leg” in the event of a bathroom “emergency”… I hope they had sanitary wipes and that Kim didn’t have anything to drink before or during the event because… ew. Again.

6. Revenge was part of the motivation behind the Bob Mackie creation Cher wore to the 1986 Oscars, as she was snubbed for her role in Mask. "There were a lot of people who said, ‘That’s not fashion!’ And I said, ‘Of course it’s not fashion. It’s a crazy getup for attention.’ In case you’re wondering, this is the getup that makes it look like Cher had a black porcupine die on her head while the actual “dress” is strategically placed black diamonds held together with straps. Bob Mackie’s kind of a genius because people still talk about this look to this day (case in point; this post).

There were others, but they weren’t nearly as interesting as these. And by “interesting”, I mean “slightly piqued my interest enough to poke some fun at them.”.

Useless Facts Woman OUT!

3 Likes