Single Random Facts

Found this fact while looking up Dancin’: It’s On! on IMDB…

There could’ve been two West Side Story alums involved in this movie.

3 Likes

I’ve read about this! Quite the spectacular error. I wonder if closer inspection of the story would reveal the involvement of a Musk or Bezos.

1 Like

Feel like I’m getting smarter every time I visit this thread…the brain is getting larger!!

• There are more viral particles in Earth’s oceans than there are stars is the observable Universe.
4 Likes

Squid brains are donut-shaped, and their esophagus runs through the “donut hole”. Everything they eat passes through their brain!

9 Likes

According to a cephalopod expert I heard on a podcast once octopus is borrowed from Greek, and so the etymological plural is octopoties.

5 Likes

In the cephaloghetto, law enforcement is known as octopopo.

8 Likes

1 Like

I love that idea! It sounds amazing! They could even have had the same spelling error with Jehovah where he steps onto the J and nearly passes out.

3 Likes

Some astronomers are now saying we should consider the solar system as having 150 planets.

4 Likes

That’s one of the many ways we are superior to you apes.

8 Likes

So a street urchin is a street hedgehog?

3 Likes

George Chakiris was also hired for the role played by Peter Fonda in the Roger Corman outlaw biker film Wild Angels (1966) with Nancy Sinatra and Bruce Dern. Corman replaced him because he insisted on a stuntman to do his motorcycle riding.

5 Likes

Weird that he would agree to do Easy Rider a few years later.

2 Likes

George Chakiris was replaced by Peter Fonda. Fonda came up with the idea for Easy Rider while doing the publicity tour for Wild Angels.

2 Likes
  • The deepest cave in the world is Veryovkina Cave in Georgia (the one in Asia, not the US), while the longest cave system in the world is Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.

Guess which one I’ve visited?

8 Likes

I went to Mammoth Cave as a kid. It was very impressive. We keep meaning to take a family trip there now. My daughter has never been in a cave.

2 Likes

I’ve been kind of following this continuing debate and, honestly, I’m more on the side of the IAU. I think there’s value in separating out the Kuiper Belt objects as a different class (dwarf planets) given how different they are from the current eight. I know there are valid arguments with both definitions, but it’s not always a negative to acknowledge that we’re just choosing to use a simpler form.

As I tell my students, calling Pluto a dwarf planet doesn’t make it any less interesting. I mean, Pluto sent us a Valentine!

8 Likes

I’ve been to Carlsbad Caverns but other than that I’ve only been to the lava tubes that are around here in Idaho. I’d love to go to Mammoth Cave.

5 Likes

I’m on your side. Pluto hasn’t changed at all and definitions are important. Saying we have 150 planets isn’t helpful. Saying we have 8 major planets, X number of dwarf planets and so on makes more sense to me than saying we have 150 planets.

Also, Pluto and Charon are really a binary system and should be thought of that way.

7 Likes

The Great Lakes have more shipwrecks than any other body of water on the planet with more than 6000 lost ships (and ~30,000 lost lives). Lake Erie has the most with more than 2000 wrecks. Lake Superior has ~550. Lost ships include everything from 18th-19th-century schooners to 1000 foot modern ore carriers.

8 Likes