SPOILER filled Munchie talk

I thought it was meant to be Australian?

3 Likes

the MST Wiki seems to think she’s from Australia or perhaps, New Zealand.

2 Likes

Yeah, could be a kiwi accent. I can’t imagine she went to a dialect coach (like our good farmer friend from Giant Spider Invasion) to nail it down. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

She says “Kinga called me in to see if everything with bits and bobs is up to snuff” which sure sounds British to me, but maybe they say that in Australia or New Zealand too?

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll admit it, I didn’t get the “E is for Entertainment” line - they spoke of it during the Q&A, but nope, went right over my head.

2 Likes

Tiny quibble… I’d put it as:

MST3K beta: KTMA
MST3K 1.0: Comedy Central (Joel)
MST3K 1.5: Comedy Central (Mike)
MST3K 2.0: Sci Fi
MST3K 3.0: Netflix
MST3K 4.0: Gizmoplex

6 Likes

the actual movie itself was wayyyy darker than i expected it to be. solid episode all around

5 Likes

Oh, I forgot it was another brief glimpse of Mega-Synthia! It was nice to see the Pearls all together. But now I’m curious what exactly Pearl’s planning around scrapbooking. Kinga should probably be afraid.

10 Likes

Have they formally introduced Mega-Synthia? I gather she was a tour thing, but I missed the tour and I know very little about her.

3 Likes

I am having that issue with another one of host voices. Trying to work through it so I can enjoy all the episodes but I don’t seem to be winning that battle.

1 Like

The full name of Chuck E. Cheese is Charles Entertainment Cheese. That was what they were referring to. :slight_smile:

It surprised me that, even amongst all you dorks, that one was obscure. My useless knowledge of animatronic pizza bands pays off!

6 Likes

I believe this was her first appearance in an episode; beyond the live tours Mega-Synthia has popped up in stuff like Turkey Day and the Pluto bumpers.

3 Likes

She was walking around outside with Synyhia in the first episode before she somehow got shot off into space, I think.

8 Likes

I need to rewatch El Santo, then! Still haven’t seen the final release version.

3 Likes

I’ve learned something new, thanks.

I was little too old for Chuck, I went there once for one of my nephew’s birthday parties. But that’s about all I know of the Cheese.

3 Likes

MR_Potroast has proclaimed this episode both the best this year and maybe in the Top Ten of all time. I’m… not sure about that, personally. I’ll re-watch one more time and then decide. I had technical issues on my end which made it rougher than it should’ve been.

I find Munchie himself bland, rather than disturbing. So it’s funny to me when everyone else freaks out over his appearance. Then again, I thought that whole thread of creepy dolls was interesting and not really nightmarish at all. I’d rather scroll through that than sit through most horror movies, so…

One thing I definitely think is that DeLuise’s voice doesn’t really match with the look or vibe of the character. Possibly that’s what causes some of viewers’ unease with it. Surprised they didn’t make more of that. You could get a whole sketch out of who would’ve been better-suited for the role.

7 Likes

I just assumed it was South African cause i can never get a handle on that accent. But i understand your cringe

2 Likes

Um, ‘A Christmas Story’ had Ralphie ‘teaching everyone a lesson by dying on them’ fantasy. Boy won’t they be sorry when I’m gone’ is absolutely a classic little kid thing to do when you’re angry at parents or authority figures. To the target audience, which I’m sure is low aged, they would sympathsize with the sentiment.

I felt a little misled at them claiming this nearly broke them. It’s absolutely a by the numbers kids film. While the puppet’s terrible, Dom had a good voice for the character (vs Eric Roberts on quaaludes for his role in ‘A Talking Cat!?!’), the acting was hammy, typical for the genre, but not painful.
I kind of loved Angus Scrimm being that undertaker (I made a joke about the resemblence, then he spoke and I was like, oh heck it is him), and thought the principal and hot secretary actually liking one another (when the set up felt like he was going to be a creepy pervo) was actually a nice swerve on the trope.
Also interesting in that JLH’s face hasn’t changed at all since she was a kid. I mean the instant she popped up I recognized her and had no idea she did anything before that tv series she did in the 90’s which put her on the map.

I legit thought Mac and Me, and even Hobgoblins, light years worse. This was just normal bad. The riffs were on point and this was a solid outing for me.

15 Likes

I’ll probably have longer thoughts on the movie itself later, but I loved the into and outro with Emily’s crew. I laughed hard at those, as hard as anything in the movie itself. And I’m liking the interplay between hosts within the episodes so far; I wasn’t expecting that but having Jonah and Emily interact in episodes 3 and 4 was nice and I’m looking forward to adding Joel to the mix. :smiley:

11 Likes

+1 on the “not sure what the fuss was all about,” but then I don’t know how difficult it is to write the show. It certainly wasn’t as bad as the lead-up made it out to be … not even sure if it goes in the bottom half, much less anywhere close to the worst.

7 Likes