STAR TREK You Know It-You Love It-Let's Talk About It!

You are probably better off. Mikey Spock should never have existed, let alone had a career in starfleet, and that show had a man who picked up garbage on their ship named ‘Roddenberry’. that wasn’t a tribute, that was an insult.

About the only new Trek I like is Prodigy, and that is because, I THINK it’s being done by former 4kids TMNT staff who KNOW how to do a good show.

2 Likes

$120 is a lot of money to spend on plates and what we have is perfectly good, but still…

It’s for sale here if you want to spend that sort of money.

3 Likes

I just put that on my Christmas wish list. There’s no way I can actually spend that much money, but maybe someone in my family will be feeling generous and silly at the same time. :smiley:

2 Likes

Fun cameo in the latest Lower Decks. :smiley:

1 Like

3 Likes

In honor of the upcoming holiday (my second least favorite because I’m a wimp), what Star Trek episode (if any) actually gave you the heebie jeebies?

For me, it’s a TNG episode Night Terrors where the crew end up unable to dream (except for Troi). In particular, the scene with Dr. Crusher in a room full of corpses that suddenly sit up. That scene scared me so bad the first time I saw it.

2 Likes

There’s some good horror in TNG: Genesis, and DS9: Empok Nor. They tried a horror episode on VOY with the Haunting of Deck Twelve, but it didn’t really land for me.

SNW: All Those Who Wander was basically a (pretty good) homage to Alien.

2 Likes

As a kid, I was haunted by episode where everyone starts disappearing until Crusher is alone on the ship.

3 Likes

The woman whose face gets taken away in Charlie X terrified me as a child.

3 Likes

Oh, yes! I remember that one!

1 Like

That moment is definitely scary! I completely agree.

2 Likes

I think it was an episode of TNG, the one where they were encountering some kind of anomaly that changed matter and there was a crew members body embedded in the deck. I’ve never re-watched that one since it aired because it freaked me out so much.

3 Likes

Oh, I don’t remember that one. That does sound freaky.

1 Like

Back in the 90s, there were PLENTY of haters who did not like the idea of a black man leading a Star Trek series. Those old American Online forums, Yahoo groups, and the few Star Trek pages were full of vicious comments and nasty energy. And just like Discovery’s Michael Burnham - another character who receives a ridiculous amount of hate - took three years to become captain.

It’s like the producers knew the audiences needed to see that both Sisko and Burnham deserved to be Captain, instead of receiving the respect of the title right from the beginning. And people still hate Captain Burnham. I think the character is fantastic, but there are some people who don’t like the idea of her sitting in that chair - just like Sisko back in the day.

I think Discovery is fantastic. I don’t really understand why folks have so many problems with the show. It’s like if a heterosexual white male is not in the captain’s chair, the show is not worth watching.

I think Sonequa Martin-Green is wonderful as Captain Michael Burnham. And this Star Trek was long overdue for a black woman to lead the franchise since she is the first to be a regular on show in its entire history. Not even Nichelle Nichols was considered a regular on the original series - way a day player.

I know folks try to bring up certain characters from the movies and TNG but those were one-offs, never seen again so they don’t count.

1 Like

You’re welcome to enjoy it. That’s fine. I can’t speak for anyone else, but one of the biggest issues with Discovery for me is that they chose to make it a prequel and then proceeded to ruin established canon and had technology that does not at all match with the level established in TOS. If they had simply set it in the future rather than trying to tie it to TOS, a lot of problems would have gone away. Then, as I’ve read about the various plot points and story arcs, I’m just not impressed with what they’re doing. It gives me no desire to watch the show and since I don’t have access to it anyway, I don’t have to worry about it.

No one I have seen disliking Discovery has commented on the race or gender or sexual preferences of the characters involved except in the sense that it’s clear that there are check boxes being ticked. But that doesn’t matter if the stories are good. Regardless, it’s a little disingenuous to dismiss people’s opinions by creating their arguments rather than looking at what they’re actually saying.

As I said, you are free to enjoy the show. However, there is no requirement for everyone to enjoy it just because you like it. I really enjoyed the first two seasons of Enterprise (didn’t have TV for the other seasons), but it’s not a very popular opinion. I really liked Star Trek: Insurrection, but that movie is mostly panned by Star Trek fans. That’s fine. I will continue to enjoy them regardless.

3 Likes

Took a while to find the name of the episode with the woman killed by being embedded in the deck.

It’s In Theory, the one where data tries dating and the Enterprise is investigating a dark matter nebula.

Now I remember that I have re-watched the beginning of it a few times but always turn it off when I remember what is going to happen half way through.

3 Likes

Oh, I don’t remember that one at all. I vaguely remember Data going on a date in an episode, but I didn’t remember that there was someone embedded in the deck. Yikes!

2 Likes

Oh, what *isn’t* wrong with Discovery? :wink: Seriously, though: I “rage quit” after the first night on its free broadcast CBS debut. Somehow I thought the show wanted me to believe it was Vulcan-logical to do what Burnham did in that first hour. (Yes, I misunderstood.) I toughed it out to watch the part 2 second free hour, but it didn’t override my objections, so I walked away. (I also had an aversion to the idea of paying $30+ as “rent” to be able to see the rest of that possibly dislikable season.)

But during 2020 (i.e. COVID lockdown times) someone I trust asked if I was watching, and said they really like it and thought I would, too, and should try again. (Yes, season 2 had aired by then.) I had also attended a solo panel with the doctor’s actor Wilson Cruz the year before, and admired his enthusiasm for the show. So I tried again, saw that first hour in a slightly different light, began liking season 1, and now I’m a big fan.

I then did the same with another friend. His irk was the new, new, old Klingons – he hated everything about them – but he pushed on and now he’s a Discovery fan, too. Season 2 is really good at making lots of fans.

2 Likes

ST: DISC - Well, I appreciated Burnham’s story arc in Season 1, and I enjoyed Season 2, BUT - Man! Season 3 was a scorcher.

Yes, I hate Michael Burnham. She’s reckless and disobedient and I wouldn’t trust her to mind a pet turtle, much less captain a starship. Yes, I know there are people who object to her being captain on basis of her race or sex, but I just can’t put up with her actions! I stopped watching after season 3.

Other problems - as someone pointed out the technology is ALL WRONG (not to mention ridiculous - space is full of fungus? Dude, no!) We don’t know any of the crew except a couple who are friends of MB - not even the bridge crew! I knew more about the crew of SNW after 2 episodes than I did after 3 seasons of DISC.

I’m happy with gay, non-binary, whatever crew members, not a problem there. I just wish they had a main character who was STARFLEET - as we’ve known and loved Starfleet for decades, and not the rebellious loose cannon we have in DISC.

1 Like