STAR TREK You Know It-You Love It-Let's Talk About It!

The mycelial network contains a variety of fungal species that evolved in a subspace domain. TNG already established life existing in subspace, and the mycelial network is based on the mycelium that underpins a variety of ecosystems here on earth.

So the spore drive doesn’t strike me as any more ridiculous than any other Trek technology.

4 Likes

On that note, TNG: Schisms is a pretty solid horror episode. The scene where they reconstruct the dissection chamber on the holodeck is very tense.

2 Likes

The only problem I have with it is that they are acting like somehow no other space-faring species has discovered and/or utilized the mycelial network just because Starfleet kept it secret. The Borg, at the very least, should know about it through all of their assimilation of other species. No one is using it but Discovery. Not even 1000 years later.

3 Likes

That part doesn’t really bother me so much, but it definitely could have been fixed by setting DIS in the future to begin with. Maybe in the 32nd century, but at least post-Dominion War.

3 Likes

Agreed.

2 Likes

Sisko and Mikey Spock do not belong in the same sentence. One is a REAL star Trek Captain who earned his role. the other is a character that should never have been invented, in a series that should never have been. IMHO.

No one deserves the Captain ship. you have to work hard to earn it, and Sisko did that. From what I’ve heard of Mikey Spock, not so much.

The only way I’d watch Discovery, is if someone riffed it. And even that would be a slog, since I couldn’t even get through the first episode when it was on TV.

But, that’s all MY humble opinion. others may vary :).

1 Like

hey, ANOTHER Insurrection lover :).

The Aliens where interesting, the Plot Solid. I think the reason most people don’t like it, is because it could 1)easily have been a TV episode and 2) had FAR less action than First Contact. But Star Trek is about the human condition more than action, and that’s what I think Insurrection brought back to the movies.

I have gone on record stating that I like the Bad Robot TOS Movies (minus peices of darkness). But the TV side of things has been crap ever since Enterprise ended. I used to think Braga and his partner in crime where the problem. that they didn’t want to try anything new because they new the fans would hate it. hence, no post voyager show. Then, these new people came in, who didn’t know star trek, probably didn’t like star trek, and had to check off all kinds of boxes before they could even think of the plot making sense…and boy, how wrong I Was.

Again, the only show I like, is Star Trek Prodigy. and I had very low expectations for that at the start. maybe the helped. not sure. but I wish season 2 would get here faster.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Don’t forget the goatee!

2 Likes

Oh, yes! I had forgotten that one. That scene is creepy. The clicking sound that they were all reproducing.

3 Likes

Ahem…

Don't read this if you don't want to be scandalized.

I liked it better than First Contact.

But I didn’t mind it being simply a longer episode. Plus, by that point, the cast was so comfortable with each other that the interactions all worked. It really reminded me of the end of Star Trek VI when they come on the bridge.

“Once again we’ve saved civilization as we’ve known it.”
“And the best thing is they’re not going to prosecute us.”

It’s all so casual and real. And TNG cast was in that same state where they knew each other well and could easily play off each other. That was a lot of fun to watch, regardless of the story.

2 Likes

I kind of liked the ‘Eyes in the Dark’ episode. the one scene I always remember is the morgue and Crusher, with all the bodies suddenly ‘sitting up’. done in a creepy and cool way.

2 Likes

That’s Night Terrors that I mentioned above. Definitely my most creepy episode.

3 Likes

Is that also the episode where Troi is a cake? Because that was pretty disturbing.

And then there’s the guy’s head going kablooie in the episode where bug aliens were running Starfleet.

2 Likes

Cake Troi (with mint frosting) is in Phantasms, a much later episode.

There’s some good horror imagery in Conspiracy (where Cmdr Remmick’s well, everything blows up), but the creepiest part of that episode is the final shot of empty space with the alien homing signal playing over it.

4 Likes

Thank you for letting me know I’m welcome to enjoy Discovery! OMG - Getting your approval on that means so much. You have so much to say about a show you don’t watch and where you’ve only “read about the various plot points and story arcs.”

Your second paragraph is completely disingenuous. There is no way you have not heard the absolute hate against Sonequa Martin-Green and Michael Burnham’s presence in the captain’s chair - not if you hang out anywhere on the internet streets. Additionally, there has been plenty of venom leveled against the various gender, race, and sexual preferences - aspects of the show that seems like “check boxes being ticked.” Not surprised you feel that way. Whenever you sit on top of a social hierarchy, anything that challenges that hierarchy looks like checking off a list. Same things were said about Deep Space Nine back in the day.

The moment Paramount announced that Discovery would be a prequel I knew they would take liberties with the technology. How could they not? What was established in Trek canon was a direct result of the technology available in the 1960s. Now that directors can do more, I expected more. So those changes don’t bother me.

Again, thank you so much for your approval. Means much. And while I know that no one is obligated to like Discovery because I do - what a ridiculous thing to say - I am amazed at the amount of mental gymnastics folks do to justify why they don’t - kind of like you. Your real opinion about Discovery came through. Your points about Enterprise and Insurrections are not equal examples because you actually watched those shows - and the dislike against them never had the extra heat. Mental jujitzu indeed.

MOD HAT: Please remember rule 1 of the forum:

1. BE KIND.

The MST3K fan community is well known as a friendly, supportive space. We need to work together to keep it that way, and the best first step is making kindness our primary rule. Give each member the benefit of the doubt, and treat your fellow MSTies as you would like to be treated.

The tone in your response is close to the line. This is a fun fan forum, let’s keep that in mind. Thanks.

3 Likes

Indeed. It is fine and dandy and supremely welcome to express differing opinions. It is not welcome to personally attack someone over their opinions.

All we got here is opinions, folks (except in the hard science threads). We’re all entitled to opinions.

2 Likes

Ah, you’re a young one. Ask anyone who watched DS9 during the original run in the 1990s about the initial response to Avery Brooks and Sisko back in the day.

And there is only one reason why you don’t think Michael Burnham doesn’t deserve to sit in the chair. There is not one thing she has done that disqualifies her from being captain. So your real hate shines though. Different day, same sh*t.

You have a lot of energy for a show you say you don’t like and that could not watch the first episode. You cannot even speak of her without degrading her identity. Tells me everything I need to know about the people you hate in your real life. So much for your so-called humble opinions. I hope those folks are protecting themselves from you.

The show is hitting the right chords somewhere. Would never engender this much hate otherwise.

I will do my best. I thought TeriG’s response was condescending and I felt my response needed to have the same energy. I hope you sent something similar to her.