Starsky & Hutch Reboot

Wouldn’t that just be Abby Scutto? Quirky character with genius-level intelligence?

3 Likes

[files off the serial numbers on the NCIS scripts]

I won’t say anything if you won’t.

1 Like

Nonsense, that’s why we paid for ChatGPT Pro.

3 Likes

I think every time they sit down to make a detective show they should be forced to watch all of Columbo and A Nero Wolfe Mystery (actually, that sounds pretty awesome) and told “that’s the bar.”

8 Likes

Man, that was a good show. And the “Players” idea for the supporting cast was genius.

6 Likes

Just split the difference. Have some episodes which are self-contained but then a few at season’s start or finish that have two-parters.

3 Likes

We need a reboot prediction thread; TV shows, movies, I’m starting to think that they will be “rebooting” books next. Not graphic novels, they’ve already been doing that…The Death of Superman…again?

2 Likes

I read the title of this thread and really hoped that y’all were joking…

sigh

Professor Farnsworth Futurama "I don't want to live on this planet anymore!"  GIF

4 Likes

Make a new show about two female cops - fine, great. Try to shoehorn it into the Starsky & Hutch universe to cheaply capitalize on the name recognition - grrrrrrr.

And I wasn’t even a fan of Starsky & Hutch.

5 Likes

Come on, they could have had kids in their 50s.

3 Likes

I had no idea these conversations were going on in 1982

7 Likes

This is why I just snicker when someone my age starts yipping about some mythical Golden Age before “P.C.” or some other moral smoke demon they hate but can’t stop huffing at.

I mean, c’mon are your memory cells that depleted when you haven’t even hit 60 yet? :confused:

8 Likes

Yes, the reason Meg Foster was replaced by the more traditionally “girlish” Sharon Gless was because some people (and CBS) thought Foster and Daly together were a little too “butch”.
There was much discussion criticizing this decision.

8 Likes

I miss Columbo. That show is so legitimately awesome that even though it is a solid product of the dreaded 1970s it manages to transcend its time and the icky vibe of its era. I dread the thought that bankrupt Hollywood will inevitably one day turn its vile, slimy, filth-riddled, incompetent, agenda-addled attentions to this beloved show and vomit its foul stink onto its legacy.

4 Likes

MR_Potroast says he wants to check out Poker Face, because fans (of our generation) he knows say it hearkens back to the Columbo style of mystery, structure-wise. But isn’t just a lazy cut-and-paste. I’ll wait and see what he reports back.

6 Likes

I’ve seen other people say it’s very Colomboesque and quite good. The fact that there’s an ongoing megaplot makes me a bit wary, but if it stays in the background outside of milestone episodes it might be ok.

5 Likes

By the way, is it just me or is the language around projects like this just making everything even more murky and frustrating than it has to be? :thinking:

Even if this project never appeals to the original fans, it’s really more a continuation or spin-off of the original than a do-over. Even if the connection is weak and/or clumsy. I mean, it doesn’t pick up the original characters and place them in the 21st century.

The last three seasons of MST3K are also continuations. Not (thankfully) some grim and gritty, over-complicated new take featuring much earlier versions of the characters.

3 Likes

The “reboot” language probably doesn’t help.

I think the bigger issue is people are getting tired of this whole take an old IP, splash some paint around, give it a patina of past glory, and call it good.

It’s just lazy.

There is no reason to tie this into the old Starsky & Hutch. Why is it so hard to create a new show with two female leads as new and interesting characters? Give them a cool setting to play in, and bob’s your uncle. Instead, we get yet another “update” of an old show with gender-swapped characters to make it “modern”. It’s not only lazy at this point, but it’s also predictable.

7 Likes

I’m sure I mentioned this elsewhere, but if you create officially original characters, I bet you hold onto more money than you would if you just window-dress your concept in something made half a century ago. :confused:

Sure, inclusiveness is a great thing, but the people running studios don’t really care about it unless it makes them the most money in the shortest possible time.

4 Likes

True, but they are relying on the nostalgia draw to make up for the revenue from new IP. On top of that, new characters are a risk, and TV executives hate risk.

3 Likes