The Giant Monster Movie Fanclub

You may be interested in MST3K vs Gamera: Round 2.

3 Likes

USAF: Project Kaiju

And yes, there is a project Gamera, along with others like Mothra, Kumonga, and Colossus. The oversight project is, unsurprisingly, Godzilla.

3 Likes

The DEVO version is. . .well, “better” is not the word, but. . .

1 Like

MOTHRA!!! She is like the Phoenix, rising from the ashes! Always wins… Seriously. If Mothra is on your side, you are gonna win.

5 Likes

Has anyone seen “Big Man Japan?” It’s pretty funny, crazy, and awkward. It’s a mockumentary about the people in Japan who are transformed into giants in order to protect Japan from the various Kaiju that attack them… seriously, I’ve never seen anything like this. This clip is the ending and it is really not at all like the rest of the movie. It’s… different.

3 Likes

Gotta rep for one of my favorite monsters–Gigan.
Gigan

The sheer weird 70’s-ness of him is strangely appealing

6 Likes

I like his design as well. Practicality, and indeed evolution, take a backseat to pure radness. He’s a monster whose sole purpose is to be monstrous.

5 Likes

I also like the fact that despite he’s a goofy early 70’s monster he also has a really mean streak, but he’s also a total coward who runs the moment the fight turns against him.

In pro wrestling parlance he’s a chickens–t heel.

4 Likes

I’m a casual fan, and giant monsters were a huge perk of MST3K. The one I can think of that hasn’t been mentioned was also my suggestion for the fan-riff, APE. I saw part of it ages ago in college and I was transfixed by the bad models and size-changing gorilla that grows from 10 feet tall to about 50, depending on the shot.

5 Likes

Destroy All Monsters needs to make the list

6 Likes

Ran across Claw by accident one late night on SyFy.

It’s…something unique. Must be seen to be believed.

3 Likes

Wow, someone put a lot of love and work into that fan-made edition! Total dedication. Excellent production value.

Surprised there are so few views…and also he hasn’t been sued for rampant copyright violation?

1 Like

A face only a mother could love…

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Mother: I told you your face would freeze that way!

2 Likes

It is actually not that bad of a flick, but OMG could they not have designed the monster to look a lot better and/or more menacing looking?!? Jeez, Rodan comes out looking like a stud next to this thing.

2 Likes

Gonzo’s dad really looks upsetting.

1 Like

@HWLNGMAD I’ve said the exact same thing any number of times. Did you know that originally none other than Ray Harryhausen was supposed to do the effects for this movie, allegedly? Why the studio scrapped that idea and went with the bargain basement Mexican people who threw together this travesty is beyond me.

1 Like

I believe I did hear that as well. I mean, come on, Harryhausen is the goat of stop motion in my opinion, but if you couldn’t get him for whatever reason they couldn’t have found some a bit better in quality that what they found?!? It honestly kills what could have been a pretty notable 50s sci-fi flick.

1 Like

The 2001 update of Yonggary (released in the U.S. as “Reptilian”) was a bonkers “bad” movie, with cgi that was cringe-worthy even at the time. But it’s still fun to watch, and probably would make for great riffing material.

3 Likes

I agree. The plot of The Giant Claw is, for a 50’s era sci-fi movie, fairly competent, and not terribly dissimilar to classics such as Them! for example. But that damn puppet…

Fun story: Jeff Morrow, the “star” of this movie, was a hometown hero of sorts because he got into acting, even if it was only B movies, so he’d generally attend premieres of his films in his hometown with family and friends and then hang around in the theater lobby for pictures and to answer questions from his fellow townspeople. When this movie first aired, he’d never seen it; he’d just been told that the monster would be terrifying, so he did the same thing he always did; saw it first in his hometown with the entire town turned out to watch. Well when that bird first appeared on screen, the entire theater ERUPTED into laughter, and it didn’t stop (I know the feeling; I can’t stop giggling every time I see it too!). Meanwhile poor Jeff is sinking lower and lower in his seat out of humiliation, and finally snuck out of the theater and either hid in the car until his family came out of the theater after the movie was over or walked home and began drinking (reports differ on which story is true). Makes you feel really bad for the guy.

3 Likes