The Mads Are Back

I’m not a big fan of The Mads or RiffTrax riffing movies that have already been on MST3K. There are plenty of unseen bad films without covering old ground again. Granted, a few have been good, such as when Cinematic Titanic recovered Santa Claus Conquers The Martians, but generally I’d much prefer new offerings.

That being said, I did buy a ticket to the new show, but more out of the spirit of supporting Frank and Trace.

5 Likes

Does that work the other way around as well, when MST3K riffs a movie that RiffTrax has already done?

4 Likes

I’m less concerned about that direction, as MST3K has better writers in general. But ideally that should be avoided as well when there are better offerings to tackle.

3 Likes

I strongly disagree about the “better writers,” but comedy is very subjective, so that’s just my opinion, man.

For the record, I never mind “re-riffs.” I think every team of riffers brings something different to the table, and it’s like Trace says: “If we repeat a joke*, then it’s the right joke for that moment of the film.”

*Specifically referring to one that they wrote/performed during their tenure on MST3K, but it applies universally.

3 Likes

Yes indeed, to each their own. The early RiffTrax writing is solid and hilarious. It’s only more recently that I’ve found a lot of it very much of the “phoning it in” variety, the blame for which I lay upon some specific newer writers. I’m still an ardent fan of the Bridget & Mary Jo releases, and the BritTrax titles as well. And every so often the core team releases a good one still.

6 Likes

For me I’d prefer a new movie, but if you make me laugh, I’ll go with it.

And yet, that’s the thing, the re-dos frequently don’t make me laugh near as much, (see Jack Frost, or Hobgoblins, to name two). And after seeing them I think, “What was the point? I wasted time and cash on these lesser efforts when I have the classic MST versions at the ready”

However, there are a few where they do offer up the funny in big ways. CTs SCCTM as mentioned, or Rifftrax Manos. Both of those were hilarious and I’ve happily re-watched them both.

And with the Cindy Goes to a Party short, yes, every team brought something different to the table, The Mads, Bridget and Mary Jo, and Cole and Janet, each were funny in their own way (I love for example, the way C&J inserted movie references into their take)

On that note - I do hope MST makes Sumaru work, I think it’s a riffable movie (it’s one of the better KTMAs IMO) but was disappointed with the Rifftrax release.

And I’ll always be there for Frank and Trace. Of their redo’s, I felt Manos was kind of tapped out after the MST3K and Rifftrax versions. I don’t think I’ll go back to it ahead of those 2. But their Santa was very funny, and the Devils Hand was solid. So, I’ll see what they do with the talking head, hope it’s a hoot.

5 Likes

Got my download, very funny show, and a nice tribute to Gilbert Godfried.

The Modern Business Machine… man, that short was a chore, but the strap-on stenographer machine was hilarious.

Funny spin on Frank’s Chris Christie riffs (especially since it was brought up here)

Though on the Q&A, they didn’t care for my 2 favorite movies on the year (The Power of the Dog and Licorice Pizza). Pizza is just a slice of life, no lesson’s, no real close as Trace wanted, it’s just, here is this story, here is this life, and I appreciate that. And I don’t get the mindset that POTD was like homework. Frank’s not the only one to say that, but it’s baffling, I found it engrossing beginning to end.

3 Likes

I found the first short the worst slog, but then I bristle at these “science equals proof of god” things inherently. I loved the business machines short, and it was an interesting window in alternate typing technologies.

From the typing short, I have to believe that massive Chinese typewriter was a failure, since you needed to look up the number assigned to each of over 5000+ ideograms. The modern way of building up characters from compound strokes is vastly superior, a shame it didn’t occur to them as well. But I do love the Vari-Typer with it’s font (ha!) of typefaces. That sucker made beautiful work.

4 Likes

Those Moody Institute shorts are a challenge for sure.

3 Likes

While I enjoyed the live RT do-overs, they usually lacked a certain “OOMPH!” in terms of actual riff quality.

4 Likes

It was five years ago today that I saw The Mads live for the first time.

19 Likes

I’ve been so swamped with work this week that I never got to talk about how much I enjoyed this week’s show. I honestly didn’t think I’d make it but I ended up catching most of the live show.

Thought Chris, Trace and Frank’s pre-show discussion about the first Mads Are Back show was hilarious. Frank had an awesome quote about blasphemy that is one of the all-time Frankisms in my opinion.

I couldn’t be a part of the live chat and the post-show Q&A but I’ll try to catch the latter via the on-demand download. Can’t say how much I appreciate the digital download. Defeating FOMO AND having a DRM-free digital copy? Chef’s kiss, as the kids say.

Always a big fan of the pre-show local drive-in ads and cheesy trailers as well. Part of me kinda wishes the trailer/drive-in ad compilation could be included on future downloads, but another part of me really likes to see them while waiting for the stream to start.

A good night of shorts. Looking forward to the next show!

9 Likes

Thanks everyone for the kind words above! That Modern Machines short had me howling. Something about the lack of music in that one just made it ridiculously eerie!

This weekend all downloads are discounted by 15% at Dumb Video, our new digital video store, so if you’re looking to catch up on some shows now’s the time!

TAKE 15% OFF ALL WEEKEND!

12 Likes

HBD, Chris!

2 Likes

Frank’s final line in that Modern Machines short summed it up for me… “Thank God that’s over, Jesus!” :laughing: Funny material from the duo, but man, what a dry flick.

Out of curiosity, I looked up Stella Pajunas. Found her mentioned in an L.A. Times article about a modern typing champion.

Speed, Accuracy’s Just Her Type : A Champ at the Keyboards Thrives on Work at 166 W.P.M. - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

She passed away in 2007, at the age of 86

1 Like

Are any/all of the Mads are Back livestreams up for sale currently PG or PG13? I’ve got to keep it away from the blue side of things for the little one…

3 Likes

Frank and Trace drop the occasional F-bomb … nothing too over-the-top, but if that’s a deal-breaker then these probably break the deal once in a while.

4 Likes

happy birthday Not Jonah Ray!

5 Likes

New teaser trailer for The Mads Are Back: The Brain That Wouldn’t Die livestream on May 10, 2022 with special Q&A guest Mary Jo Pehl!

Tickets are $10 and include a download if you can’t watch live.

The Brain That Wouldn't Die - 1920x1080 2

12 Likes

I hope everyone can make it to The Mads Are Back: The Brain That Wouldn’t Die tomorrow night with very special Q&A guest: Mary Jo Pehl!!

The Brain That Wouldn't Die - 1920x1080 2

Remember: Tickets are just $10 and you get a download of the entire show if you can’t watch it live.

13 Likes