The Mads Are Back

Take a drink (of caffeine) every time Frank mentions that he’s pandering through use of old MST references. It might make getting all the way through a tad easier. Me? I was terminally drowsy by the time the post-game show started. I’ll have to go back and watch it later.

4 Likes

Yeah ditto… I had a very long day and fell asleep about twenty minutes in. Woke up in time for the ending.

4 Likes

For whatever it’s worth, sleeping through Cosmos: War of the Planets is almost indistinguishable from watching it.

5 Likes

Ha, yeah, same deal, I nodded off for about 15-minutes, out of sheer exhaustion in the middle of the show… waiting for the download so I can re-watch and fill in the gap.

But I got quite a few laughs out of it, and the question about movie decades has had the wheels spinning in my head (that would make a good thread on its own here)

4 Likes

20-20-Hindsight Riff:

Replace all those very-not-genuine names in the credits and just type ITALIAN SMITHEE.

:kissing_closed_eyes: THANKS! I’ll be here all week! Enjoy the Ossobuco!

1 Like

Which credits … the full set at the beginning or the full set at the end?

SO. MANY. CREDITS.

3 Likes

I liked that the choreography was by A. Belly. So A Belly, dancer?

5 Likes

It was A band called Belly but not the one which came later and had actual talent.

4 Likes

There was a period in the middle I was laughing non-stop, Frank & Trace were on fire at points. Insane movie, terrible faded dupe-of-a-dupe print (possibly pan-n-scanned too from how much blocking got cut on the sides!), sets straight out of Williams & Read era Doctor Who (the K-9 & Leela/Key To Time period), and I say that with a modicum of fondness for that era. It’s also has like three consecutive endings.
It felt like aliens trying to make their own B-movie after discovering transmissions of late-night 70’s TV time-filler across time and space, and only understanding how stuff happens in them, not why any of it should. :laughing:

Also, an extra round of commendations to Chris for cutting 20 minutes; After a point I almost thought that was a lie and the film was running uncut, until I checked the clock, haha!
Great aftershow Q&A too!

7 Likes

Their first album was good but I’m really in love with their sophomore effort “King”. So very awesome and rocking! I wish I would have seen them live. “Seal my fate”, baby

4 Likes

The download fixed a few things (like when Trace and Frank delivered a riff at the same time), so that’s nice. And boy, I feel asleep during the best part, so I got some new laughs tonight.

And Chris, I hope your enjoying your Hammer movies. I’m a big fan, we even have a thread here where we’ve gabbed about our favorites and whatnot.

3 Likes

Just in case Laserblast getting two and a half stars from Leonard Maltin wasn’t enough of a head-scratcher, here’s a little something from the Cosmos: War of the Planets Wikipedia page:

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 6.39.04 PM

Name of the Rose, Being There … Cosmos: War of the Planets

5 Likes

I am genuinely concerned about Leonard Maltin’s sanity

7 Likes

I think we need to face facts: he relies heavily on unpaid interns who just like having fun at his (symbolic) expense.

8 Likes

There actually are other critics writing in that book, but I’d have to imagine they reflect his opinions as well. I wouldn’t think he’d be okay with putting his name on a 2-star review of Being There, if he actually thought it was a 4-star movie.

In his defense, ratings don’t always say the same thing. I know, for example, that I grade on a genre curve, so Kaiju flicks are rated against other Kaiju, Martial Arts with other Martials arts movies, and so on. So “Enter the Dragon’s” 5-stars is different than say, “Last Year at Marienbad’s” 5-stars, which is different than the 5-stars I gave “Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack” (hell, you earn 5-stars just for that title)

4 Likes

Ok so last night I rewatched it… and I’m almost certain I didn’t fall asleep this time… but I still haven’t a clue what actually transpired.

1 Like

Okay, Trace is clearly the sci-fi geek of the crowd. Serious bonus points for his “Yanti Misfits” line at the start, a reference to the original Outer Limits (and the Zanti Misfits).

Also, it was interesting seeing the old guy from Cave Dwellers appear as the, um, space warwilf?

I want to believe this movie made more sense in the original Italian edit, which I also have to believe was longer and not so abruptly spliced.

Oh, and thanks movie for the lingering shots of women being killed, and for genociding the grey aliens. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Oh yeah, loved that Zanti line, the Zanti’s really freaked me out as a kid. (Still do)

3 Likes

“50 quatluuds on the strangers” killed me because yes it looked exactly like one of the aliens from The Gamesters of Triskelion"

2 Likes

I was stuck in Barcelona due to US airport meltdown (I know boo hoo, but MAN it was HOT over there - the worst heat wave in 91 years) and the hotel they put me in had great wifi so I was able to download Cosmos: War of the Planets and watch it on my phone and all I can say is WOW what a funny episode. The Mads are Back has really stepped up in the past few months; in fact it’s quite a competiton now with MST3K Season 13 as far as riff quality.

Got home last night just in time to catch some of The Mary Jo Pehl Show riffing of Where Have All the People Gone? and it was very fun. She and Chris Gersbeck have really good chemistry together.

8 Likes