The Majestic Music Appreciation Thread

2 Likes

I’ve taught the youtube algorithm what I like, which is practically everything. Now I have a supermix that I call “whiplash radio” for obvious reasons and I couldn’t adore it more.

1 Like

Fairly sure this classic tune constitutes a premonition of Pearl Forrester’s ascent.

2 Likes

I see what you did there.

I like you, jimmy toots. You’re like an unexpected gust of delicious food truck wind that blows your hat off, or maybe like a light summer shower if the trees all screamed about it.

1 Like

Huh. I know this one. In fact, I referenced it in the movie-watching thread last Friday, even though I never really got on board the Top Train. It’s a long story.

On the other hand, has Wayne Shorter ever made a bad LP? (This is apparently from an Alan Ladd “historical” melodrama called Thunder In The East)

2 Likes

Has he ever made a record where he plays nothing but soprano? If so, then maybe. God-level tenor player, soprano tone like an icepick to the forehead.

Oh, dear. So my Sidney Bechet-Steve Lacy-Jane Bunnett-Jane Ira Bloom-Sweet Sue Terry tribute is right out, I guess…?

:frowning:

2 Likes

Since this is the “Music Appreciation” thread, let me tell you a little story. I was an “internet DJ” in the early 2000s, and took requests from listeners. This act expanded my musical range from only mid-90s R&B and Pop to virtually every genre that existed (with the exceptions perhaps, of most Country and Death Metal).

This lead me to a category of music that on initial glance would go against my natural predilection towards smooth harmonies and rhythms - Progressive Metal.

You’ve all heard of the TSO I’m sure:

What you may NOT know is that the TSO is technically a “side” project for the obscure Prog-Metal band Savatage, who had a string of FANTASTIC albums with (at the time) lead singer Zac Stevens that ran from 1995’s Dead Winter Dead (which the song above actually debuted on) through to and including 2001’s Poets and Madmen.

Frankly, their albums before 1995 and after 2001 don’t interest me in the slightest - they were all pretty much generic metal that didn’t have any real “unique” flair. But those three albums in the small time-frame? There is something magical about listening to them each from start to finish. Although they received virtually no airplay during their time, those three albums epitomized music as a true form of artistic expression.

I’d like to share one single sample that just about sums up that entire time period. If you don’t like this song, don’t bother with any of the rest, because this is what I’m talking about - Prog-Metal at its very best.

(Turns on DJ Voice)

From their 1997 album The Wake of Magellan, I give you - “The Hourglass”, a self-contained story of a sailor who had given up on life and decided to go out in full Viking-funeral glory - that is, until he sees a drowning person clinging to life out on the ocean…

1 Like

I love the instrument, just not when WS plays it—and I’m a fan of his otherwise! His soprano tone is just too pinched and reedy for my tastes.

2 Likes

I love music.

Except for soprano sax.

1 Like

Sorry. Can’t hear all your crying over the sound of how awesome Jane Ira Bloom is. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Why listen to people singing Imagine too many times when you can just listen to this instead?

4 Likes

Introduced my sister to Fugazi recently. My second fav punk band of all time.

2 Likes

Would you say that’s “electric, like Dick Hyman!” I would! Guess you’d expect to catch the crew rhymin’. Good find.

This is unrelated (the Dick Hyman line is from “Root Down,” and yes, I know who Dick Hyman is, although I never knew he did synthesizer work, just his piano work) but it’s caught in my head for some reason.

1 Like

Jane Ira Bloom may indeed be an awesome person and a talented musician. But soprano sax is what they play on the elevator down to hell.

That’s how I feel about 75% of Eighties hits. So deal with it, Pink Boy!!

Fine… here’s George Adams on tenor. I bet most people who’d whine about the soprano would barely even notice the difference. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to this one a LOT the past 2 weeks.

1 Like

At least that song’s a bit easier to listen to than hearing other people sing Imagine too many times.

1 Like

Only if you want to set a flame in my heart.

1 Like

I’m a proud member of the Anti-Imagine League anyway. It’s always annoyed me.

1 Like