The Riffing universe alignment chart (v1)

I put a lot of thought into this, and I present version 1 of the (completely subjective and based off my opinion, alone) riffing universe alignment chart for your consideration.

Axis reflects averaged output (for example, Rifftrax Just the Jokes has riffed both very good movies and Transformers movies, so they average out on the quality axis). So, don’t come at me with “what about when [group] riffed [movie], huh?” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What do you think, sirs?

15 Likes

I like it very much!

5 Likes

Well done! Seems pretty accurate to me.

5 Likes

If you imagine that Munchie doesn’t exist, like I like to, the New Era MST3K placement is pretty much perfect.

I lost all my 1st gen VHS tapes from the KTMA days, but I often wonder if a lot of the Low Quality Print feel people have from those episodes was more the multi-generation VHS copies many circulated and bad UHF reception of the original recording those tapes were copied from before circulating… than the quality of the prints as riffed… so I could see that being a tad higher than the Film Crew? Once we added a dedicated UHF Yagi in the attic, the image quality never seemed that differant from movies we’d see on Ch 9 (Ind at the time) , Ch 29 (Fox at the time) or VHS?

Yes, the UHF antenna (and amplifier) was just so we could watch MST3K… the VHF/UHF antenna (also in the attic) picked up everything else fine… go figure …

Other than that, I say :+1:

(Of course, these are old memories and absolutely could be colored by nostalgia and if I actually had those tapes I could be thinking “no, the KTMA episodes need to be lower on the print quality scale”)

2 Likes

I always feel divided about the terrible quality of The Astral Factor. Sure, about half of whatever tries to happen onscreen is lost in mud. But would finding it again really help anyone? :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

I don’t know about the placement of The Mads. They use pretty good prints, They used the restored print of Manos which was quite good.

3 Likes

Walk The Dark Streets was in bad shape but I think that gave rise to some good riffs. If I’m thinking of the right crappy dimestore noir.

2 Likes

This is… pretty good!

5 Likes

Very impressive :clap:

3 Likes

I love this summary!

Now I want to do some data mining and figure out why 11-13 and KTMA movies seem to more enjoyable on average. More than just sci-fi? Lots of Sanderson S. Frank as a percentage? Million Eyes is actually just cheesy?

(I’d argue that last point a bit, but only because the v1 makes me want to double check the chart. Sorry!)

3 Likes

KTMA is in the exact right place. And Cinematic Titanic… OOF. There was some deep, DEEP hurting there.

3 Likes

Somewhere there’s a detailed analysis of the move from being marooned in space to being buried underground: what it says about aging, accepting the closure of infinite possibilities, and the fading of rich color to stark black and white. Not to mention having the [ahem] Wiener Of Damocles descending on you at the end of every workday. Or maybe not. Maybe they’re just shows and I should whistle past the graveyard and just relax. :wink:

[ETA - And also, we should devise a way to have a CT watch-a-long though sadly they’re not on the Gizmoplex. But maybe they will be one day.]

3 Likes

I agree about CT. It was 15 years ago that it first started with The Oozing Skull.

3 Likes

Blood Of The Vampires is my favorite. Frank and J.Elvis in particular are just, uh… killing it there. <3

3 Likes

That’s my favorite as well!

2 Likes

If anyone wants to realign their opinions of Cinematic Titanic, I think all 12 that Shout Factory released are available on demand w/commercials at Shout TV:

https://shout-tv.com/series/cinematic-titanic

3 Likes