The RPG Art Thread

Some more M&M art, this time from their Golden Age sourcebook.

1 Like

I loved the AD&D Al-Qadim setting back in the day, and it had some amazing cover art.

4 Likes

Oh, gosh, most of the 2e art (in color anyway) was absolutely gorgeous. For all it’s problematic elements (and hoo boy where to begin), the Complete Barbarian’s Handbook had this piece with Native Americans on dinosaurs that made me go “… I want to see this on the side of a van.”

I still have a soft spot for the very old school art from the AD&D books, even as bad as some of it was. Probably because that’s what I used to play all the time and it fired my imagination. I especially remember the illustrations of a party fighting various monsters in the random dungeon section and the little humor cartoons scattered through the Dungeon Master’s Guide.

From Mutants & Masterminds’ Power Profiles book-

I love this picture. For those unfamiliar, the character on the right is Malador the Mystic, one of the big bads of M&M’s Freedom City/ Earth-Prime setting; essentially, he’s an undead lich with countless magical abilities. So, I like to imagine the game that eventually lead to a picture like that.

GM: Before you stands Malador the Mystic, the undead, unholy master of the arcane. He is readying baneful, profane magicks to attack you, the heroes. What do you do?
PC: I punch him! In the mush!
GM: …
PC: I’m using ice gauntlets.
GM: Sigh Fine, go ahead and roll.
PC: Natural 20!
GM: @#$%!

1 Like