THIS POST IS FULL OF TURTLE MEAT: Come join your GAMERA VS GUIRON Open Thread for tonight's tribute event!

I feel like a dummy…why can’t I find the tribute in the app? I can find it on the website, but I can’t cast to my TV from the website like I can from the app. I see the previous 3 tributes, but not this one.

1 Like

Same. I guess it’s not up yet for us Johnny come latelies

3 Likes

Oh good, I’m not the only one who wants to watch the stream after-the-fact.

I’m not in a position right now to stay up late and watch stuff.

2 Likes

Or us “live on the other side of the world from the US” people who would rather not get up at 5am. :slight_smile: But I will wait patiently for it to be available. Tick. Tock. TICK. TOCK.

3 Likes

5am MST3K would be some serious dedication. That is a CURSED hour.

1 Like

You may have to go through the “My Videos” tab to get to the tributes, if you have a season pass. I think there are also some kickstarter backer passes that just went through June, but I’m just a random fan, so don’t trust me on anything.

At least once in the past I had to restart the app on my appletv to get the replay to show up.

The replay was missing for a while overnight, but it appears that it was back as of around 9 AM EDT. If it’s still missing for anyone, try doing a hard refresh on the site (hold down Shift while reloading twice).

6 Likes

Michael, always comin’ in hot with the solution!

4 Likes

Looking forward to the replay! We had widespread internet outages in Canada yesterday.

1 Like

How I wish I was a fly on the wall!

1 Like

If Joel’s parents’ house is involved, Frank and Trace would have to be written in somehow. Some subplot to do with a new Tangleberry Inn locale, maybe…? :thinking:

So, I’ve now watched/rewatched 4/5 Gamera movies, and I’ve noticed that they have a Pink Lady reference in every episode. That means that “Pink Lady and Jeff” made a much bigger impact on the MST3K writers than it ever did on the American public at large.

4 Likes

I haven’t found the time to watch the stream yet, but when I eventually do I’m betting that it will be really neat.

1 Like

Also, every single Japanese girl ends up with that same Yoko Ono joke. I hope that when Jiger appears, they’ll have discovered that there’s more than one Japanese woman in the world.

I’d throw in Toshiko Akiyoshi myself. (“Be right back! Just finishing up Kogun over here!”) I consider myself the unacknowledged queen of the right people will get it riffs. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, it was jaw-dropping if you were around at the time. The idea that you would make a variety show (when variety shows were all but dead) with two performers who couldn’t speak English and spoke their lines phonetically was just, well, you had to see it. A lot of people didn’t see it, though, which reinforces your point.
Also, I think the writers were reaching for Japanese references. In later years there were a lot of references to cram school in Japanese movies, as if the writers knew very little about Japan but knew that there was something called “cram school”.

5 Likes

That chapter is from a whole different type of book.

Wow, good luck getting that theme song out of my head after last night…

1 Like

Yeah, they had that problem with the opening credits of the Gamera movies. A lot of the same people worked on all of them, so by Gamera vs Zigra Crow made a joke that was basically “They have funny Japanese names.” I think they were making fun of themselves for running out of material.

I’m also going to share this image from Hanging with Dr. Z that let us imagine what a better world could have been

E7wrcj_XMAEnOYW

5 Likes

Welcome to my world, bud.

2 Likes